Welcome and Introductions!

Hi everyone! Just a quick introduction: I’m Eugenio M. Vigo, a PhD student in linguistics and I mantain a blog on Free Software written in Spanish called /etc/cron.d - Crónicas de Software Libre ("/etc/cron.d - Free Software Chronicles"). If you’re interested in it, just look for it in a search engine; I have no intentions of spamming people here. I’ve been following Bad Voltage for quite a while, but I’ve just entered these forums. I love the show and I’m looking forward to kick in with some comments here once and then if I’m not too busy. Great job, guys! You’re awesome; I think you already knew that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

we do. But people saying out loud adds to our power and helps us devour other podcasters :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Canonical was formed in 2004, so are you sure about that? :slight_smile:

You didn’t miss much, trust me.

Wrong, Canonical was formed outside the UK before 2000.

Yeah, I hear you - one thing I don’t miss about FOSDEM is the weather !

Unless it was formed under a different name, dissolved, and then re-incorporated, no, no it wasn’t.

I was referring to RMS :wink:

@neuro Do you have the file ?

I do because I scanned it in the company registry office in 2001, about a month before 9/11.
~I remember it clearly.

Anyway I signed the OSA so I dont think I should comment on it anymore.

I don’t know what to tell you, dude. I’m not saying you’re a liar, but there’s no record of a Canonical company formed before 2004 in either the Isle of Man or in the UK. And the Official Secrets Act has nothing to do with company formation :wink:

1 Like

Dude, it was my job … I know.

OK, so, you’re a guy who saw a piece of paper. There’s quite a few people here who can probably pop an email to Mark Shuttleworth, or maybe even walk right up to him, and just ask him when the company was formed. Who am I going to believe more? Again, I’m not saying you’re a liar, but I find it hard to believe what you’re saying given that no company Canonical Ltd, or any company with Canonical in the name, existed at the Companies Houses registrars of both the Isle of Man and the United Kingdom. Can you reconcile that fact?

@TheGuyWhoLovesChill are you sure you are not confusing this with The Shuttleworth Foundation? That was founded in 2001.

There is no way Canonical was around in 2001.

2 Likes

@jonobacon I agree with your premise.

But there was a massive file in the company records with Canonical all over it in 2001. I scanned it.
All I recall was that is had tons of chinese names in it ~ or names that weren’t traditional english.

In order to clarify this, what I shall do is go to the company registry office and have a chat with the guys I used to work with. I shall come back some time this/next month with the answer.

Actually, I have just reconsidered and even if they said I was correct, I couldn’t prove it. So I guess it’s just something that I shall keep with me forever.

1 Like

But you said you took a copy …

I’m just feeding the idiots now - I shall never get paid for sharing any other info. on this subject, so I don’t see why I should put myself at risk- after declaring that I signed the OSA, and thereby am bound by a 1920’s act of Parliament.

This is confusing me, perhaps I am an idiot after all. Can you please cite which part of the Official Secrets Act 1920 legally enjoins you from posting something that I can download off the Companies House website for free?

1 Like

Firstly I’m not in the UK, so please don’t link to that website - it’s irrelevant.

Secondly, I’m finished this. What I printed in bold was the gist of my meaning. I’m done.

Oh, OK. You win, I guess.

1 Like

Hi, Tuukka here.
Been into computers since C64 and started with Linux using one of those InfoMagic red cd-cases on my 386, somehow managed to compile the kernel (took forever) and started exploring. Loved how it was possible to run multiple Doom windows on single X display :slight_smile: Been using various Linux distros on my desktop since then, currently mainly on Arch.

Have listened to almost all of the shows now, only skipping a few past episodes where one of you was missing. You guys have some wonderful group dynamics going on and it is very disappointing when someone cannot participate.
Keep the badass voltage up!

2 Likes

Howdy!

First of all, I hope it’s OK to dig deep into BV’s archive and bring back this introduction post.

I’m Rafael and I’m a Linux addict. I hope you guys can help me get deeper into it :open_mouth:

I’ve been into GNU slash Linux since circa 2007. I began on Ubuntu, but since 2008 I’ve been a loyal Arch user.

In 2010, while I was still at university studying Linguistics, I got a job as an English teacher. My commute was not fun—sometimes an hour and a half in a bus, feeling all sweaty and miserable—so I got into listening podcasts to both practice my listening abilities and forget about the world around myself. I became infatuated with Linux Outlaws. I told fabsh and methoddan this before, but they saved me from going mad. Hm, I must admit there was some alcohol involved as well. Every evening, having just finished work, I’d go into the bakery in front of the school where I worked, get a couple (+1 or +2) Heinekens and hop on the homebound bus. There I was, on the back of a dirty bus, half-drunk and listening to two random dudes talk about Linux. Those were the days.

Last year, I had the pleasure of finding out about Bad Voltage and getting to know the hosts a little better. I kept meaning to post here, but I kept forgetting to do it. Sorry, guys.

Tonight, I loaded my favorite ebook reader with Jono’s The Art of Community. I’ve just started a LUG in my hometown, so I need to get acquainted with the correct rituals and incantations in hopes that the community gods will help me.

That’s my story so far. Thanks for reading and I hope to make friends and learn new stuff here. Here’s a gif for getting to the end of my post:

3 Likes

Happy holidays I am @dress_she

I felt wanted - and less of the thesis, but I switched to pop_OS.

In your next bv-podcast @jonobacon - cud you please tell me how to be a bv-rockstar ?

end

There are a few people people singled out for special titles on this site. You have the presenters, Bryan Lunduke as an ex-presenter @neuro is our ‘Honourable Queen’ @oldgeek and myself are rock-stars @joe is a moderator, I am also a moderator as are @sil and @jonobacon. All three presenters are also administrators,

These titles have all so far been bestowed by @jonobacon as recognition of significant contribution to the show, this forum or both. No idea when he will bestow the next honour or what that honour will be.

Stick around, listen to the shows and take an active part here on the forum. Welcome to the Bad Voltage community.