Welcome and Introductions!

Welcome @Justcarakas and @th0rgall!

2 Likes

Hey Iā€™m Med, and Iā€™m a (technically but not actually) mature student of computer science at the University of Nottingham. Iā€™m switching careers from my previous one as a martial artist. I discovered Bad Voltage when looking for linux podcasts, coincidentally right as episode one came out. I run a bunch of linux VMs of different flavours (used for learning and coding etc) as well as a dual booting windows desktop and a windows 8 laptop, heavily augmented with cygwin of course. Iā€™m really enjoying learning with linux and about open source. I canā€™t wait to get involved as I progress through my degree and move into industry. I do stuff, largely I bitch/shout about it here. Love the show

2 Likes

Hello!

Iā€™m John. Music scholar, Multimedia programmer, and Assembly language enthusiast. Iā€™ve been listening since episode one. I actually discovered your series when I saw a post about Jono Bacon and his notorious Linux song. I had already been a fan of Lunduke from the Linux Action Show.

4 Likes

Of course you do! Youā€™re a smart man!

Whereā€™s the high five buttonā€¦

1 Like

Hi,

Ken G (thus cagey). Long time ā€œlinuxā€ user starting with some sort of micro-kernel `nix on a Apple Lisa while living in Zimbabwe in 1993, the days of uunet. Always have used Linux in one distro or another in my professional life which started out doing actual science but degenerated into building large (very large) telescopes (CASA, PAO, VERITAS). It pays the bills!

Now working for UBC (Vancouver) building yet another telescope (radio this time) and recently started a biz with my wife doing international development gigs. Converted her over to Kubuntu with very little tearing of hair and/or gnashing of teeth. (We do have to use Kingsoft rather than Libre as the latterā€™s docx support sucks totally.)

Otherwise mostly retired.

• kg

PS Great show, good chemistry!

2 Likes

Wow, that sounds quite interesting to me. Degenerated, hmph!! Do you enjoy building telescopes? That must be very challenging. I would love to be able to hang around for one of your projects.

The biggest challenge is dealing with the people. A whole lot of very smart people who know they know all the answers (but obviously donā€™t). As for the technical end, I havenā€™t contributed a lot to the electronics development on most of these projects, principally on the hardware and software and ā€¦ well, common-sense, side.

FWIW, in this field (astro and high-energy) most code development is in C/C++ (what else?) and more and more scripting in python. Generally sys-admin work is done by non-professionals, read grad-students or post-docs, which has its draw backs. (This doesnā€™t apply if you work at a national lab like Goddard or JPL or Fermilab where they have real IT support.)

I would imagine that is a great challenge, dealing with egos and, I would guess, condescending attitudes. When you say hardware, are you referring to computer hardware or of the telescopes themselves?

Iā€™m sure the science field is gutting kind of pushy, with all of the recent graduates running for tenured positions.

Hi, I donā€™t use Linux, but do take an interest in it. Iā€™m a C# developer and always take an interest in what is going on outside my area. Linux is cool and great to have around as it seems to keep Microsoft honest.

Iā€™m dotwaffle, or waffle to my friends. I am neither made of potato nor waffley versatile. I do, however, talk incessantly.

My interests include network architecture, the demoscene, simulators of all shapes and sizes, and ensuring my latent OCD doesnā€™t make me do anything silly like fly halfway across the world to see some Englishmen make sub-par nob gags in San Francisco.

I first met Jono at LinuxExpo in London when I was helping a mate on the KDE stand. I saw he started a podcast and began getting more into the Linux world. Through the people I met at LUG Radio Lives, I found myself in a job that was half network engineering, half systems administration, and many of the arguments that the LUGRadio crew got into taught me a lot, including about the technical competence of the National Lottery web designers.

Bad Voltage took a little bit if getting used to (well, Bryan took a lot of getting used to! :smile: ) and has blossomed into a must-listen show for me. With or without frippery.

I should stop typingā€¦

1 Like

Careful. The Lunduke loyalists are a strong faction in the BV community.

1 Like

Bryanā€™s fun to listen to, I can imagine Jeremy cracking eventually if Bryan talks over him too many times :wink:

Seriously though, what makes me listen to BV is mainly that not only do the presenters have very different backgrounds and mannerisms, they all frequently disagree and enjoy the argument. All too rare in mainstream media. It stays civil and friendly, but the occasional jab is entertaining =]

1 Like

Hey everyone! Iā€™m Nathan Dyer. I have been a Linux user and all around free software fan since my early teens. Iā€™m currently a third year university student at East Tennessee State University studying computer science. I was an Ubuntu user for a while, but I had a torrid affair with elementary OS a few years ago and I havenā€™t looked back. I sometimes contribute to elementary, but right now most of my attention is focused on making Vocal, a podcast app that Iā€™m developing.

I have been obsessed with podcasts most of my life. I was a huge fan of LugRadio back in the day, then Shot of Jaq, and now of course Bad Voltage. I can honestly say that itā€™s the highlight of my every-other-week (but donā€™t let it go to your heads)!

2 Likes

I am glad you think this: this is exactly why we structured the team as it is. We wanted a diverse set of views, opinions, senses of humor, and methods of discussing. Always nice to see the plan seemed to work. :slight_smile:

Also, we really do enjoy jabbing each other. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Howdy doody! Iā€™m Jon from the UK, been listening to BV for a while now so thought only right I pop by and say hi. Donā€™t know how but I totally missed LUG radio as Iā€™ve been an avid Linux user and community member since the mid 90ā€™s, making up for it now though. Really enjoying the show chaps, keep it up!

2 Likes

That makes me sound like a dictator. And I like that.

1 Like

Hey look, an intro thread.
Iā€™m Dave. Iā€™m a structural engineer and I have to figure out how things work. Itā€™s been 7 days, 4 hours, and 2 minutes since I didnā€™t have to fix something.
I design Power Substations and itā€™s really interesting work. Usually.
Listening to this show gives me something to think about while Iā€™m driving around the Baaken so thanks for that.

Thanks @oldgeek for the welcome and pointing me to this thread.

My name is Justyn, Iā€™m a self-employed electronic engineer and embedded software developer. Iā€™ve been using Linux as my desktop OS for a decade or so.

To be honest, I was pretty sure Bad Voltage wasnā€™t the kind of thing Iā€™d be into when I downloaded an episode about a year back. And every episode sinceā€¦

3 Likes

Greetings all.

I recently stumbled upon Bad Voltage and I have been enjoying the show especially as I love podcasts. I work in a museum world in the collections side and I try promote open source options within the field, e.g. Evergreen, CollectiveAccess, CollectionSpace, Koha, etc.