Welcome and Introductions!

This is the key. People are defined as rockstars when they offer significant and sustained value on the forum. Stick around, enjoy the discussion, contribute, be respectful, and that is how it happens. :slight_smile:

Y’know, anyone else and I would have been “Yeah, neuro is right for sure”. But that guy Shuttleworth, he’s been to Antarctica, the ISS, CERN and hails from the country that the namesake of the Mandela effect is from too so…just saying. I believe you very well could have seen those documents. Prolly best to keep quiet about it though.

My and Jono’s points were that Canonical just did not exist in any form in 2001, and Chill was probably just mis-remembering. And if you had $20m kicking about in your bank account 15 years ago, you could have gone to the ISS as well.

And to be clear, it’s this queen:

not this queen:

Aaaaaand some context.

2 Likes

Well said ma’am I remain your honourable servant.

Well you can deal with these fucking corgis for a start, they’re bloody EVERYWHERE!

3 Likes

Well it might have, in this rendition, existed as thawt! (or however that’s spelled).Either way, I get where TheGuyWhoLovesChill is possibly coming from. I think if anyone is going to be privy to harnessing the Mandela effect; It’s that guy.
yup

1 Like

There’s a difference between having a individually poor memory and being part of a collective falsehood recollection. Both UK and IoM Companies House have no relevant records showing a Canonical Ltd having existed at that time. Jono, who bloody worked for Canonical ffs, confirmed that there’s “no chance” of it existing at the time. It’s public record that Canonical was incorporated in the Isle of Man on 5th March 2004 as M R S Virtual Development Ltd, and had its name changed to Canonical Ltd on 12th July 2004. The UK company company was Fieldwave Ltd, formed on 25th February 2004, and changed to Canonical UK Ltd on 19th July 2007.

Chill also mentioned seeing “tons” of Chinese names on it, which is odd because Mark Shuttleworth founded the company using his compensation from selling Thawte in 1999. He had the free capital to spunk on a space trip in 2001-2002, so I doubt he would have needed additional investment at that point to start a small startup to support a Debian fork.

What was also weird was that Chill cited the Official Secrets Act as reasons for not providing proof (but apparently fine to take personal copies), and then tried to wave off my linking to the 1920s version of the Act that he cited by saying he wasn’t in the UK, despite the fact that all versions of the OSA apply to the Isle of Man as equally as in the UK or Channel Islands.

Ho hum. Post-fact society in action, I guess.

Interesting.

Wouldn’t read anything into that; one of the first directors of the company was Instant Companies Ltd, so the company was probably purchased off the shelf, and when they decided to operate from the UK entity rather than the IoM entity, they changed the name.