Podcast Suggestions (other than BV)

I have been listening to Ask Noah show. I heard Matt Hartley talk about this on the Lunduke Hour. Noah Chelliah owns his own business using FOSS in enterprise. He seems passionate about it. The show takes callers and he does try to assist them either right then or will get information to assist them later. Seems like a very nice man.

1 Like

Certainly podcasts seem to compete against each other sometimes - but one of the website\s that is fairly nice (although it runs on node) is a decent bunch.

@newky thank-you for sharing talk-python-for-me , but Iam preferring cloud-infrastructure podcasts :kissing_smiling_eyes:

ShamlessPromotion

Clearly Bad Voltage is the only podcast worth listening to and has the finest community behind it

/ShamlessPromotion

I’m kidding, I love BV and I hope you do too. If you have any problems let us know either via the forum or by email. I’m not promising to fix everything but if there are any issues I’m sure we would like to know about them.

That said I would like to hear of any recommendations anybody has I’m a big fan of The Lunduke Hour personally,

3 Likes

There are a bunch of geek pop culture podcasts on The Incomparable network. Some of these include:

• The Incomparable - A weekly dive into geeky media we love, including movies, books, TV, comics, and more.
  • Random Trek - Scott McNulty discusses a randomly selected episode of “Star Trek” — all series, all seasons — with a non-random guest.
  • Unjustly Maligned - A pop culture show about the sometimes strange things we love, that other people… don’t.
  • Total Party Kill - A podcast in which a bunch of friends play Dungeons and Dragons on the Internet for your amusement.

There is also the trek.fm network, if you are so inclined. They have shows on all of the live action shows (TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, Voy, Ent, Dis), as well as topical shows like Continuing Mission, which follows independent productions, HyperChannel, a news show, and shows from other networks, like Mission Log, from the Roddenberry podcast network, which examines each episode of Star Trek looking for messages, morals, and meanings and whether the episode holds up. (They have been going for a little over 5 years, and so far, have done all of TOS, TAS, the original cast movies, and are in season 7 of TNG.)

2 Likes

Loved The West Wing, and it’s about time I watched it again. Subscribed!

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Quite a few I like have already been mentioned.
Some that haven’t:

(linked to episodes other BV listeners may like)

• The Jolly Swagmen Podcast interviews with interesting people. Am still catching up but liking so far.
  • Allusionist (dorky but fun, if that’s your cup of tea, mostly light hearted but sometimes delves into deeper topics).
  • Waking Up Podcast, surprised nobody mentioned this, covers many interesting topics, although I’m not so interested in the US-centric political stuff.
  • Wired Podcast - general mainstream tech news (nice to hear first hand from journalists that write about topics in-depth)
  • The Z List Dead List - about obscure people in history, real mixed bag, some very interesting though.

You might like https://pythonbytes.fm/

WTF with Marc Maron - Lots of great interviews, some kinda suck
Triangulation - Interesting interviews of people in the tech industry, but other areas are covered
Security Now - Very in-depth topics on the security front
Destination Linux - Casual discussion on all things Linux
Ubuntu Podcast - Casual discussion on all things Linux
Late Night Linux - Casual discussion on all things Linux
Linux Voice - Great podcast from the former Linux Format/Linux Voice magazines
Sunday Morning Linux Review - Casual discussion on all things Linux
Python Bytes - Quick news bytes and topics on Python
Talk Python to Me - News and interviews on Python
Talk Salad and Scrambled Eggs - Podcast on the greatest show ever; Frasier
Dr Karl on Triple J - All kinds of science questions and answers
Download This Show - Australian tech news and geeky happenings
Stamp Show Today - Stamp news and topic discussion
Star Talk Radio - Interesting topics covered by Neil DeGrass Tyson
Risky Business - Security news and interviews

Oh, I looked for a long time to find a solution of syncing podcasts between all my devices, tablet, phone, laptop etc. What I use is Pocketcast app on android and the website on my laptop. I looked for quite some time for the right solution and this works great.

2 Likes

Adam Ruins Everything - First, on the Adam Ruins Everything TV show, Adam Conover broke down widespread misconceptions about everything we take for granted. Now, join Adam as he sits down with the experts and stars from the show to go into even more detail.
This American Life - If you listen to Podcasts, you know what this is.
Bad Voltage - Technology, Open Source, Politics, Music…anything and everything is up for grabs, complete with reviews and interviews.
Cast of Thrones - It’s a Game of Thrones podcast. It goes dark when it’s not airing, but it gives some really good commentary and analysis
Crime Town - Gimlet Media podcast, goes into the rich criminal history of one city per season
The Dollop - Comedians Dave Anthony and Gareth Reynolds discuss American History. It is totes hilare
Freakonomics - A subversive look at the underlying economics and incentives that steers aspects of our society
Hello From the Magic Tavern - Improv podcast where the host fell through a magical dimensional portal behind a Burger King in Chicago and found himself in a strange magical land called “Foon.” He hosts a podcast interviewing characters from that world.
Hello Internet - Podcast by CGP Grey from YouTube and Dr Brady Haran. Nerds talking about nerd stuff, it’s fun!
Hidden Brain - The Hidden Brain project helps curious people understand the world, human behavior, the biases that shape our choices, and the triggers that direct the course of our relationships.
International Waters - Each week, an American team of comedians goes against a British team of comedians on their knowledge of each other’s pop culture. Has some really funny guests
Media Watch - Podcast of the ABC show of the same name. A weekly look at the world of media, and where they’ve dropped the ball.
Planet Money - Imagine you could call up a friend and say, “Meet me at the bar and tell me what’s going on with the economy.” Now imagine that’s actually a fun evening. That’s what we’re going for at Planet Money.
NPR Politics - Political news, commentary and analysis
Real Time with Bill Maher - Talk show that airs weekly on HBO, hosted by comedian and political satirist Bill Maher. Primarily political commentary
Science Vs - Science Vs takes on fads, trends, and the opinionated mob to find out what’s fact, what’s not, and what’s somewhere in between.
Stuff You Missed in History Class - Two history nerds talk in depth on historical topics one a week. Really drive’s home the point that the only things that aren’t interesting are the things you don’t know enough about.
The Weekly Planet - Two aussie comedy geeks discuss comics, movies, comic book movies and TV each week
West Wing Weekly - Weekly episode recap for the West Wing. One of the hosts in Josh Melina, who played Will Bailey.

2 Likes

I’ve been really enjoying Darknet Diaries recently - the guy knows how to tell a story. (Declaration of interest: I was interviewed for his piece on Diginotar, Episode 3, which is how i found out about it.)

1 Like

I’m going to drop a whole podcast network here. Think Jupiter broadcasting…but the alliance format is where the similarities end. It is very much “New Age woo woo” focused and most likely not something many of you would seek out on your own. Why am I posting it here? Because having an interest in this stuff is exactly why I also have an interest in Free software. Altruism, truly, altruism. Nope, not your typical narrative for coming to FOSS in this millennium (and believe me I’ve had the “I exist!” argument more times than I care to remember) but applying kneejerk narratives for motivations to persons based on past experiences and stereotypes of others is how I think technology is harming culture and the first step to protecting against that is giving culture (the users) an active say in the evolution of technology.

So…if you’ve run out of things to listen to, just want a change of pace, or are simply curious; Make a nice cup of tea and enjoy a free preview show :slight_smile:

Hay House Radio

I’ve been looking for a WordPress-podcast for a while. Any suggestions? Funny and smart with a bit of news and discussions :slight_smile:

don’t really know of any word-press podcasts, but CardsAgainst Humanity has realised a basic four minute daily podcast.

adding people on twitter is going like gang-busters right now.

actually, I recall they have done this before.

@b1ackcr0w a nice hug of a podcast.

Blindboy Podcast [ 1 ½ of your private hour ] - don’t for get one about the oil.

1 Like

@newky I would also have a look at some of the shows on the free archive or actual INNOCENSE podcast which just finished on spotify podcasts.

I’m a bit late to the party but what the hell! A show I’ve enjoyed a great deal is the Film Reroll podcast.

They take a film and roleplay it, DnD-style. I think I started with their episode on Jumanji but it may have been their Labyrinth one. I’d gladly re-listen to either so it doesn’t make much difference.

More Linux goodness with the Binary Times podcast.

Podcasts I enjoy that I don’t see listed elsewhere in the thread (and that I didn’t start listening to after discovering them here)…

• Another Round will hopefully be back after getting dropped in Buzzfeed’s cuts. In the meantime, it’s two charismatic black women interviewing someone who interests them as they all drink. The thin-skinned people should probably steer clear, because they’ll get angry about how they’ve been treated by white people and men, but they’re also consistently very funny.
  • The Changelog, with weekly-ish interviews of (usually) people behind open source projects. Think something like FLOSS Weekly, but with more preparation from the hosts and less of an attempt to sustain language/editor holy wars from twenty years ago. I think it used to be Creative Commons licensed, if that’s of interest, but the evidence seems to have been removed. They’ve also expanded into a small podcast network with a handful of other shows.
  • CounterSpin, from media watchdog FAIR (Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting). It’s a nice antidote to the “liberal media bias” line, with a heavy focus on recurring narratives and whose views actually get in front of us.
  • Gastropod is a food history and food science podcast.
  • Hacker Public Radio is sort of a “bring your own podcast” show, with listeners contributing all episodes on whatever interests them at that time. They’re (almost) all Creative Commons.
  • HanselMinutes is Scott Hanselman interviewing fellow techies. The episodes about specific technologies, though, are probably the weakest. My favorites are the discussion around the social climates in the guest’s part of the industry.
  • Milk Street Radio is a branch of the America’s Test Kitchen (the PBS cooking show) family tree, with Christopher Kimball (the guy with the bowtie) discussing recipes that have been tested within an inch of their lives, conducting interviews, taking caller questions with Sara Molton, and rotating through a few forgettable segments.
  • Overthinking It “subjects the popular culture to a level of scrutiny it probably doesn’t deserve.” For example, the episode on Skyscraper (the recent Dwayne Johnson action movie) includes discussion on how it might have been scripted based on Taoist philosophy.
  • Video Games Hot Dog rarely features hot dogs and they only talk about video games for about half the show, which is fine with me, since I don’t really play much. The hosts are mostly the team behind The Kingdom of Loathing browser game and have added the guy behind Frog Fractions, to give a peek into their sense of humor, and they mostly just talk and joke about what they’ve all been doing.

Honorable mention goes to The Unseen Podcast, which appears to be an open panel discussing an idea of the week, which unfortunately seems to mean a lot of people who have no trouble substituting things they’ve seen in science fiction for actual science. I’m not sure there’s enough good stuff to outweigh that, but I’m giving it a chance.

1 Like

Yay, another Page 94 listener! I wish Andrew Hunter-Murray did it more often :slight_smile: