Closed Poll: The Reverso Debate, Bryan vs Stuart: Desktop UIs, complexity vs simplicity

I dunno, you have an audience, dude. Use it. :wink:

Voted for Stuart. Bryan sounded pretty sarcastic the whole time, but Stuart was pretty convincing :stuck_out_tongue:

But of course, my personal opinion of the matter is that concision (not exactly simplicity) is better than complexity :slight_smile:

1 Like

LOL, I did, didn’t I? :smile:

@bryanlunduke: “Give me an example of an interface that lets you be free, that lets you fly and do whatever you want with your computer.”
@sil: “Microsoft Windows.”

And this “Microsoft Windows” was answered with such an aplomb that I can do nothing but give my voice to Stuart. It was just magnificent!

Is this sort of Bryan’s normal state of being, sarcastic I mean?

I just think it is a bit incoherent to advocate freedom to do what ever, whit out restriktions imposed by user interface and operating system, and then claming that Windows do that. If so, please tell how to get read/write access to my ext4 filesystem from Windows.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/extfs-windows/

So what you are saying is, that Windows do not provide support for Ext file systems, but I can install a 3. party application that do so. Well that is fine, but in Unity I have support for NTFS by default :smile:

Maybe you’d like something signed from my house? I have a nalgene water bottle…
EB

Yep, that’s what I’m saying when I’m made to defend complexity. It’s about creating a desktop with a million hooks where third parties can plug in and extend your offering, rather than deciding that there’s One True Way and third-parties couldn’t possibly improve on that because they can’t possibly be as smart as you.

1 Like

Wow, this thing is getting close now. 19 Bryan, 22 Stuart.

I was siding with Bryan to begin with, but towards the end I felt that Stuart had won it. That doesn’t reflect my opinion on it, just who in my opinion won the debate. It was very well fought on both sides and a great segment :smile:

My basic opinion is whilst I think KDE and the complexity it gives is cool, I’ve gotten lazy over the years and want something that just works in a way that I would end-up comfortable with (hence why I’m typing this on a Mac and use Fedora/Gnome 3 to develop in). Some would argue that Windows “just works”, I haven’t found that, and I do a lot of work that requires POSIX compatibility which you don’t get out of the box in Windows.

(that is my opinion and I’m happy to be wrong with it :wink: )

Well spoken Sir. I know that I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, which is probably why I do not understand how this is freedom.

It isn’t freedom. It’s necessary complexity, which is what I was being asked to argue for. Freedom has nothing to do with it.

Damn, and we were hoping to see you in a kilt with your face painted blue :smile:

A great segment, I enjoyed it very much.

Can’t say I agree with either point of view as they where defended in the debate, but Aq took it furthest by actually bringing Windows in to it. It was many years since I left Windows (nowadays I mainly use Netrunner OS with KDE), but it was a delight to hear Bryan trying to muster up a defence for that argument.

I felt that Brian left the format for the debate a little bit, but Aq stayed most true to the boundaries of the game. So Aq is the winner!

2 Likes

vote for @sil, for his health

Bryan is now ahead, so if you wanted to vote for me and corral friends to do the same, now’s the time. :slight_smile:

Does it depend to where the pity vote goes?