Closed Poll: The Reverso Debate, Bryan vs Stuart: Desktop UIs, complexity vs simplicity

Still time @sil, I think you can win this one… I saw @bryanlunduke seeking votes on g+ . He may even be out giving small children candy to create false accounts and vote…or was that vodka to old women…one of the two.

Shhh. Don’t tell Stu about my secret tactics!

Oh, and IMHO, Adrienne Barbeau > Scarlett Johansson…So @sil gets bonus points for that. But maybe I’m just an old guy. :slight_smile:

Bryan: you argued pretty well and for the most part made it sound like you believed it, but I’m sorry,
Stuart: you were amazing. you just sound convincing no mater what you are saying. I think a future segment could be the other 3 sugesting increasingly insane positions and Stuart defending them. extra points if you after position is decided phone in other people and see how convincing they find Stuart :smile:

2 Likes

I voted for @sil, I think he had it at the hardware tree, something I think unity is lacking. It keeps trying to force bluetooth on my desktop pc which has no bluetooth gear at all, so its always a hassle to look up to remove hardware suport for hardware I just dont have and don’t plan on having all in one place.

Needless to say I still use unity with Ubuntu!

1 Like

For me Mark Shuttleworth brings the whole debate to the point in this interview. He says that it’s important to deliver defaults that provide a clear and usable environment but let it to the user to change these defaults if he wants to.
IMHO Ubuntu delivers this and that’s why I like it.

Yowzer. They are dead even at this point. It is all to play for in the debate showdown!

What happens in case of a tie?

Super Tux Racer at dawn. Winner takes all…

2 Likes

Which reminds me. Hey @bryanlunduke, any chance of that Open Goat-cart anyways?

Stuart, just because I also love Windows. Unity is like Microsoft Bob (that’s a good argument against @bryanlunduke. I would like to hear his arguments defending the simplicity of Bob)

Stuart’s Shutter Island comeback sold me out.

As a software developer I really need those split window, new tab, multiple panels, etc. of Dolphin. Nautilus doesn’t really cut it. I can never really understand why GNOME guys want to force a habit on us. Screenshots are automatically must be saved in root of Pictures folder. Wallpapers must be in root of Pictures folder. I have gathered around 200 screenshots. They are all useless once I am done with them but I don’t have to worry about them as they are nicely tucked away in a separate folder. I also have a lot of bookmarks and it is really helpful that Dolphin allows you to rearrange them in anyway you want. If KDE could be a little more lean it would make a perfect desktop enviroment and I hope Plasma 5 is a step in that direction.

1 Like

There is less than one day left in voting (we record the next episode tomorrow) – and I would just like to point out one thing:

• Even if you’ve already voted, you can change your vote at the top of this thread by clicking on any of the options other than Stuart.

Oh… what’s this picture I just randomly found on the Internet?

1 Like

It has become apparent to me that some guidance in voting would be useful. I commissioned an independent board of enquiry to produce a helpful voting guide to make the options clearer without hesitation or bias.

#SayYesToStuart

1 Like

He’s British. He’s ginger. He’s got that evil chin-beard-to-mustache-circle thing.

And then he says… this. How much more “Bond Villain” can he get?

It is up to us to stop this mad-man. You. Me. All of us. We can be the James Bond to Stuart Langridge’s Blofeld. And all we need to do… is vote (for any of the options except Stuart).

Sounds like Australian politics if you ask me.

I am astounded that people would even consider voting for Bryan. I mean, seriously, @bryanlunduke not only has improper relationships with animals, but he’s even written a book about it.

I quote directly and accurately from his own work.

Stamp out this filth. #SayYesToStuart. Vote now.

I gave Stuart black eyes with glowing red pupils. And that, somehow, made him more adorable.

That ain’t natural. You know what to do.

Ahahah you guys are amazing!

I just feel like this voting is ending with no one actually remembering the segment itself, but people voting based on those fantastic pieces of journalism put together by Stuart and Bryan. That’s brilliant!

rofl