So im building a new pc

My old pc is a gibbering pile of garbage, which due to its old cpu and ati gpu is repeatedly crashing locking up and being an idiot. So im building a new one

Intel Core i5-4670 3.40GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor
Gigabyte Z87M-D3H Intel Z87
Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 16GB
Corsair Obsidian 350D Micro ATX Case

i already have a 24inch monitor, keyboard mouse and a psu.

So would the cpu’s built in gpu be powerful enough to run a compiz 1080i dislplay?

any build advise would be usefull

Do you mean 1080p?

It will be powerful enough to run that resolution but you’re limited to the video ports on your motherboard.

My CPU only has Intel HD2000 graphic (which the one you are getting should blow out of the water) and it managed compositing effects just fine before I got a descrete graphics card.

I think you’ve got basically the same motherboard as I have (in the machine I mentioned on the show) and it’s running a 2560x1440 27" monitor. So you’ll be fine with something weedy like 1080p :wink:

The desktop I bought a few days ago has an i5-4570 3.20 GHz (Haswell as well, oh oh). It includes an Intel HD4600 graphic chipset, like the CPU you’ve got. I was a bit skeptical about integrated graphic chipsets until I saw this:

Impressive, isn’t it?

No need to tell you my 1080p 23" screen runs perfectly fine on Ubuntu 13.10 with this :slight_smile:

I recommend investing in an SSD. GPUs help your games, but SSDs seem to make everything better.

Oh cool, im trying to make a pc that doesnt require any ‘binary bullshit’ to run. Hopefully this will kick ass. i get the parts tomorrow and will built that night.

@b1ackcr0w Forgot to mention i have an 240gig ssd from the old pc and a 3tb spinning disk as well.

Perfect for Distro Hopping :smile:

That’s some heavy shit out there!

Ok the things build…It’s a tiny beast. 2 second boot and siient. Well impressed