Rocketing To Prove the Earth is Flat

The earth is not flat.

It’s just abit depressed.

2 Likes

:smile:
(and gratuitous typing to make 10 characters)

The Earth is flat, but Mars is round! https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/259821-flat-earth-society-trolls-elon-musk-claims-mars-round

There is a link in there to something Issac Asimov wrote, The Relativity of Wrong. It was a very good read.

If we ignore Physics then we could argue that Mars being round does not mean it is not flat it could be a circle but not spherical provided it always presented itself to us face on.

Some of the key evidence that the earth is basically ball shaped, actually it bulges around the equator but close enough for the sake of argument is the fact that when the earth casts a shadow on the moon it always looks like part of a circle. This would only be possible if the earth were flat but circular and always presented itself face on to the moon.

A second argument is that the tallest feature on the earth should be visible from everywhere, with suitable magnification, as it can not be over the horizon because there isn’t one.

Finally there are images from high earth orbit or space which show the beauty of the rock we live on. If I am expected to believe that this a a conspiracy and all the images are faked then why should the US, UK, ESA, Russia amongst others all want to peddle the same conspiracy?

I’m not suggesting here that anybody believes the claims of the flat earth society just pointing out the obvious flaws in the argument.

That said I trust both the US and Russia when they assure me that on Christmas eve they will be tracking Santa to ensure his delivery schedule will not be impeded.

2 Likes

I really struggle to believe that people actually think this. I think this really is a good example of mount stupid at work.

3 Likes

I’ve been to that mountain more times than I can count! I wish I could blame it on youth.

Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt

easily done around bitcoin -headlines in the media, lately.

flat-earth

3 Likes

1 Like

That picture is completely unreliable. Everyone knows the Earth is the center of the universe! :rofl:

I tell you what, the guy may have weird beliefs, but anyone who can get a home-made rocket of significant size 500m up in the air deserves some respect… :slight_smile:

Screenshot_20180420_001
Whyyyyy?? Isn’t this evidence enough?

1 Like

2 Likes

So I havenot got time to listen to the show this week, maybe next, but

apparently the earth is actually described as a oblate spheroid :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I was almost convinced of the Flat Earth theory until I came across this most convincing argument…

1 Like

Hi community,

Bumping this thread, since the Global Warming topic was getting such traction in this forum, just thought I would ask if there were any Flat Earther’s here?

A recent documentary on Netflix gave an outsider a nice overview I think (below).

Just curious, guess I am disappointed in the digression (or perceived need to discuss) that other topic and am passively-aggressively responding to that.

If you wanted to state your case in this thread, and explain how you are comfortable using science or modern technology while holding this belief, that would be very interesting to read.

I am not fit to participate in discussion or debate, just was curious.

Here is the Netflix show:

Behind the Curve

https://www.netflix.com/title/81015076

“Meet the growing, worldwide community of theorists who defend the belief that the Earth is flat while living in a society who vehemently rejects it.”

I have finally watched this film, I don’t believe any of it. I’ll return to why a little later in this post.

To briefly address the climate change issue there is lots of evidence the climate is changing and there is some debate regarding if this is predominantly, or entirely man made. We already have a thread I created ‘Climate Change: are we screwed?’ to discuss this however so further discussion on this would not be welcome in this thread but is welcome there.

Returning to the idea of a flat earth there is too much evidence to discount it.

• Pictures reportedly from space showing the curvature of earth or the entire planet. One famous example being ‘Earth Rise’ taken from the surface of the moon.

• I personally know people who have flown high enough to see this curvature for them self.

• Looking into space the other planets appear to be ball shape. It would be an amazing coincidence if they were disks and just happened to be face on all the time.

• With access to a decent telescope we can see detail around the edge of the moon changes over the course of a month indicating we are seeing it from slightly different angles which wouldn’t make sense if it were a disk.

• Space observations: There are lots of agencies around the world, funded by very different political systems, they would need to sell the same conspiracy. I have worked in scientific research and scientists all have egos and constantly try to disprove others theories.

• Gravity explains the movement of objects on the Earth and the apparent movement of objects in space. It also explains why objects above a certain size should be ball shape.

I could go on.

Living in Kansas, there is the saying “it’s not the end of the Earth, but you can see it from there”.

And Kansas is FLAT (well, most of it is). In fact it is flatter than a pancake! :laughing:

But just on that note, it is wonderful to have a full 360° horizon. Seeing miles and miles in every direction. With the winds we have, the sunsets are spectacular.

@oldgeek Kansas sounds nice
I was in the pub a few weeks ago and my mate said that where he works one of his colleges ACTUALLY belives in a flat Earth! ARRRRGGGHHHH
She said “Oh so your a round Earther” (she wasn’t pulling his leg)
I felt sorry for my friend, like how, can you, I mean how curvature of the ugghhh but a flat Earth???

So, the Earth is round and Kansas is flat. This leads me to a new, radical theory.

Ever push a cart that has a flat spot on a wheel? Makes the whole cart go thunk, thunk. What if…

The Earth is rolling through the fabric of space/time. As it’s rolling, there’s that flat spot. The whole Earth goes thunk. Do you realize what that would mean? Earthquakes have nothing to do with the shifting tectonic plates and fault lines. Rather, it’s all because of Kansas!

OOHHH, I should be expecting a Nobel prize for this one. :rofl: