So as of late I’ve been trying to think of some side gigs. What I think I am leaning towards is privacy as a service. Here is my idea and maybe it would be an interesting topic.
There are a lot of tinfoil hat wearers out there or less techy people who are starting to worry about google, facebook, microsoft,etc…getting to far into their business.
So I simply want to offer my services by offering the following.
- Get them on Linux if they are willing
- Help them get setup using a VPN
- Get them Migrated to an Email service that doesn’t data mine (fastmail for simple and protonmail for secure come to mind.)
- Get theire browsers set up with the proper extensions to limit snooping(or get them on brave)
- Coach them on how to do a proper backup and not throw everything but the kitchen sink on the cloud.
- Then provide remote support for those who need it, ie new linux users.
And for these services I would either charge hourly or maybe have a fixed fee for getting started then hourly for support.
Any thoughts? Think this is marketable? What other options could I offer?What distro would you start people on (i’m thinking ubuntu-mate or mint)