Map of the Bad Voltage Community

No worries, we know you weren’t inferring that. :slight_smile:

Thank you for the assurance. However, I do regret that I started something here that compelled you to make a sort of "privacy statement’. But, while I regret that, I do appreciate you affirming what I have taken for granted from the BV team, that is, respect. It would be inconsistent, with the level of respect that you have maintained, that information about community members would be given out. I do appreciate it.

An example of why we are a good team. I said, while poking around at code: hey, I could put people’s avatars next to their dots on the map! That’d look cool! And @jonobacon said: then we’d be saying where everyone lives. No.

I was horribly embarrassed that I’d even for a few seconds contemplated it without thinking it through. So, thank you Jono.

That would look cool. But a thought. Could this be something that could be an opt-in? I wouldn’t mind the choice, personally.

curious: how does it handle users with multiple IPs, like home, work, mobile, and proxy from another country?

There is not a single point from Iran, is there? This can’t be true. I exist!

You are from Iran? Cool. :smile:

I will regenerate another map soon to reflect our new members. :slight_smile:

I’m not a new memeber, actually. I am here even before the very first show. And I think I should be downloading one of the last shows during my last long visit in Iran (around Spetember). Now my question is: is the map based on episode downloads, community page loads, or what? I guess I was not hanging around in the community in the last few months.

I was gonna say, I thought I had seen you post before. :smile:

Obviously something is up with the script that generates the map.

As for episode downloads on a map, I believe @sil is working on that. :slight_smile:

The script uses a list of IP address you submit to it. I suppose @jonobacon is using IPs from the Discourse database, which means if you haven’t connected to Discourse from Iran directly (without using Tor or another thing like that), it’s likely that you won’t appear on the map.

However, I do connect to Discourse from Taiwan and I don’t appear on the map either, so… but it’s probably because of the data provider, not because of the script.

1 Like