My current career trajectory gets kind of terrifying. After the company I was employed in before went under (citing issues caused by Brexit) I was forced to find another job and landed a position at Akamai. After working there for 5 months I was contacted by someone I was working with before asking if I’d consider moving to Project/Admin position based in London, UK, the home of Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Who. And after some preliminary talk with my wife it seems she would consider moving countries too. It;s still pretty early, but while i visited UK I’ve never lived there (was living and working happily for 4 years in Ireland though) so I have a couple of questions to people who live in UK and work in tech.
- Is commute from some cheaper places to London survivable or not a feasible option (i’d probably travel to and from work by train)?
- Are there any special considerations when it comes to admin/tech jobs while doing it for UK companies, especially are re-sellers reasonable or a pain to deal with, like in Poland?
- Which town/city close to London should i consider to move into?
- What are the chances I’ll get shived through the eyeball for being polish?
- Would you generally consider moving into UK or rather moving out to stay in EU in the long run?
Thanks for any replies from anyone who knows what’s happening on the islands. To be brutally honest, Akamai is kind of a comfy job, so I have certain reservations about leaving it, but on the other hand I consider myself a guy who’s not gonna die in the same country he was born in, so that might be actually a step in right direction.