Linux new Code of Conduct and the whole controversy behind it

Hello!

I’ve watched from far away the whole community debacle that followed Linus’ now famous e-mail and the piece that was posted in the New Yorker.

There has been some virulent feedback (sweet euphemism) from both pro- and anti-CoC on Twitter and Reddit (who could have known, right?), and it kind of depressed me for the whole week (and I guess I’m not done being depressed about it). It’s FOSS has done a pretty good job of summarizing the whole thing to date, and famous actors of the open source community have expressed their opinions online:

I’m curious to know what the Bad Voltage community think about this. Remember the whole Bad Voltage Code of Conduct when replying: “Don’t be a dick”. :wink:

[Post text removed by admin at author’s request]

I’m pretty sure Paul Jones, quoting Vox Day of all people, can go take a flying fuck.

To be honest, it’s up to the Linux kernel development community to sign off on their own CoC, and if there’s hot feedback on it from them, then they need to keep working at it. Or on their community. Either way.

En anglais?

@neuro sorry. I was pointing out it’s a ‘growing up’ phase centered around turning eighteen.

Fuchia is the next model of kernel - so it was an analogy.
Basically they, Look how shit Linux is and (what is it?) extend, exterminate, extinguish n’all.

Nope, sorry, you’ve still lost me. I don’t see the relevance of an embedded-kernel-based Google OS in a discussion about Linux, or understand who “poppa Gates” is.

Glad to know I’m not the only one not following. I thought it was my English abilities…

poppa Gates, I think you know him a B.
What I am saying about Linux - is that it’ll be legacy after Fushcia

Can you not just come out and say “Bill Gates” instead of linking to some article about the Windows XP EULA? Also, what has Bill Gates got to do with the Linux kernel development community code of conduct? Honestly, I’m still confused at this point.

Fuchsia is an operating system in the very early stages of development. Given the massive penetration of Android across a huge range of vendors, I can’t see Fuchsia supplanting Android any time soon.

Also, Fuchsia runs on the Zircon microkernel / hypervisor. Show me the last time a microkernel-based system took over the world.

Finally, given Google’s track record of Doing Random Shit, then Sunsetting Said Random Shit Just As You Were Getting Used to It, I wouldn’t hold my breath for it making the Linux kernel “legacy”.

I literally have no idea what you’re talking about, sorry.

Honestly, I think the debate (or at least one side of it) is nonsense. The Code of Conduct has been adopted by a lot of projects that haven’t exploded into garbage, and nothing in it remotely hints that bad code will or should be accepted.

Heck, even gesturing at the Post-Meritocracy Manifesto as evidence is dishonest, since it really just points out that “meritocracy” is just a way for powerful people to excuse their crappy behavior as (a) a right they’ve somehow earned and (b) something that is allegedly orthogonal to their ability to be useful.

While the actual proof will be in how the community is operating in a year or two, of course, it seems kind of obvious that there are plenty of people out there who have plenty of technical merit, but lack the “merit” of tolerating abuse from self-important jerks who think Torvalds has deliberately been a jerk to produce better software. It doesn’t seem out of the question to require that people who want to be a part of the team act like team players.

Show me the last time a microkernel-based system took over the world.

MacOS X, iOS, QNX mabye?

macOS and iOS are based on XNU, which uses a non-microkernel version of Mach. I wondered who’d fall into that trap.

QNX I’ll grant you to an extent, but its penetration is very niche (by design), and the only real deployment of it in recent years to go up against the monolithic kernels of macOS/iOS, Linux and Windows was in BlackBerry 10, and look how that turned out.

That post does not bring much proof to the table, but I won’t deny that there is a debate about how “micro-kernely” the operating systems Apple ships are in the end. The fact that where exactly the border between “definitely microkernel” and “hybrid” lies is also quite unclear doesn’t help. For example in my book there’s nothing wrong with handling memory management or even some types of I/O inside the microkernel, while purists demand those to be taken out of the microkernel and implemented via special messages.

You might be surprised to hear that QNX runs on billions of embedded devices, maybe even the baseband of your own smartphone. Now that I’ve had more time to think about it, L4/L4Sec also spring to mind. That’s another couple billion devices.