A very interesting and disturbing article in The Guardian about massive voters' influence using Facebook data

And it was Facebook that made it possible. It was from Facebook that Cambridge Analytica obtained its vast dataset in the first place. Earlier, psychologists at Cambridge University harvested Facebook data (legally) for research purposes and published pioneering peer-reviewed work about determining personality traits, political partisanship, sexuality and much more from people’s Facebook “likes”. And SCL/Cambridge Analytica contracted a scientist at the university, Dr Aleksandr Kogan, to harvest new Facebook data. And he did so by paying people to take a personality quiz which also allowed not just their own Facebook profiles to be harvested, but also those of their friends – a process then allowed by the social network.

Facebook was the source of the psychological insights that enabled Cambridge Analytica to target individuals. It was also the mechanism that enabled them to be delivered on a large scale.

This is a topic that has been discussed before on the show, I believe, but the fact that there are so many uncanny connections is really disturbing… I mean there’s a reason why I stopped using Facebook four years ago, but I didn’t imagine it could become such a central point in influencing the World’s future.

The computer engineers and data scientists of today are creating the dictatorships of tomorrow.

1 Like

This article is absolutely worth reading, if you’re in the UK then even more so.
By coincidence (or subconscious manipulation?) I started reading “Move fast and break things” over the weekend:
http://www.jontaplin.com/the-book/

I’d be interested in seeing what the community thinks