A logo/badge to distinguish privacy-respectful apps from others

I was on holidays in France last month and saw that a new logo was being used to promote homemade food in restaurants:

It’s a new logo proposed by the French government to promote homemade cooking in restaurants, that is food and meals prepared from raw ingredients (or milk, sugar and the like).

I was wondering if there could be a similar logo that apps that are respectful of your private life/personal data could use, so that people could quickly recognize these apps.

I thought about that last night after a colleague mentioned the Moves app. I was horrified when I read their “privacy terms” (at that point it should rather be called “lack-of-privacy terms”!):

We may share information, including personally identifying information, with our Affiliates (companies that are part of our corporate groups of companies, including but not limited to Facebook)
(…)
We may access, use, preserve, and share your information, including your personally identifying information, with third parties when we have a good faith belief that it is necessary to: detect, prevent and address fraud and other illegal activity
(…)
If we sell all or part of our business, make a sale or transfer of assets, are otherwise involved in a merger or business transfer, or in the event of bankruptcy, we may disclose and transfer your personally identifying information to one or more third parties as part of that transaction.

I know no one reads Privacy terms anymore, nor the list of things an app is allowed to do on your behalf when you install it, so maybe a simple logo would be good enough to show the good apps from the bad (if there are still good apps out there)?

What do you guys think about this?

As far as an app logo is concerned, it would be rather nice. I would like to see it. But, enforcement? At what point would such a logo become useless because of the dishonesty of the few (which seems to spoil so many things :confounded: )?

But back to the FOOD!!! That is such a cool idea. But, then, the same apprehension applies with my concern stated above. When my wife and I go to a different area, I’m looking on the internet trying to find non-chain restaurants, especially the “mom and pop” places to eat, knowing that there is more of a chance to eat non-processed food that hasn’t been shipped frozen and reheated in the microwave. Such a symbol would be so helpful.

Yes. Regarding the food logo, any restaurant can use it, there are no pre-controls, but of course if your restaurant is controlled and you’re lying, you’ll be punished by law.

For apps, basically any open source app could apply for it (if the app respects the user’s privacy), but for closed source apps it would be more complicated. I guess some independant and trustful organisation should be entitled to have access to any app’s source code and check its respect for user’s privacy. (this is already the case when doing a security audit for instance, security companies have access to a software’s source code to analyse it and provide a report about its weaknesses)

You might want to look at this project: Terms of Service; Didn’t Read. The idea is to apply labels to websites, from A (good) to E (very bad), depending to what guaranties they give their users in their ToS. It’s not only about privacy but also copyright assignment and other criteria.

1 Like