2x56: Solvitur Ambulando

Stuart Langridge, Jono Bacon, and Jeremy Garcia present Bad Voltage, in which there might be toilet paper conferences, you don’t know, and:

• [00:01:15] What makes a good conference? We're digging into this in some depth; what makes a conference fun, or useful, or beneficial, or all of the above, and what stops it from being those things? What's the point of conferences anyway? A wide-ranging discussion trying to work out what people are doing well, and not so well.

Come chat with us and the community in our Slack channel via https://badvoltage-slack.herokuapp.com/!

Download from https://badvoltage.org

Even though the topic wasn’t super relevant to me personally (I don’t go to many cons), I really liked the deep-dive format and the detail with which the guys supported their arguments.

I really hope we see a similar format used for other topics. Or heck, bring Bryan back and do vaccines again.

Audio balance is way over to the left in this episode.

Unrelated but while I’m here, sign in with FB gives a development mode error and sign in with Twitter gives a 500 error.

1 Like

I was really looking forward to the WordCamp in my city (WordPress conference) but once I saw the schedule I’ve decided it wasn’t worth it.

WordPress has a variety of users from front-end, to back-end, to developers, and plenty more in-between.

The conference isn’t big enough to have a tracks for each type of user the whole day every day (two day conference, Saturday and Sunday). But in my city they have spread out the sessions across both days so that I would spend my entire weekend there in-order to attend a few sessions of interest.

I would have re-organized the sessions so that someone could attend just a morning or afternoon and get everything they wanted.

I realize that might mean fewer people at the conference all together but I’m sure it would increase total attendance since it means people don’t have to give up an entire weekend (with their family & friends) to sit around a conference hall for two days just to attend a couple hours of interesting sessions.

And it’s wobbly. Something’s up with the balance, as if some postprocessing was done on the left and right channels independently. Making my head spin a bit.

Haven’t heard this effect on Bad Voltage before, don’t hear it on any other podcasts.

So last episode it was Banned Voltage and now we’ve moved on to Dad Voltage. What next??

Guess what I found last night, @sil.

1 Like

I used mine yesterday :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been trying to get all of my projects out onto paper (I’ve been listening to Adam Savage’s Every Tool’s A Hammer and he advocates for lists, as does the friend who recommended the book). Part of this has involved looking through various notebooks I’ve got kicking about. I’m thinking this could become my day-to-day to-do list book. I started using it again last night but found that there’s still far too much chaos to be able to form anything coherent yet.

Still, it makes me happy every time I see the book as LRL was a very happy time for me. Not that now is miserable, admittedly.