Jeremy Garcia, Jono Bacon, and Stuart Langridge present Bad Voltage, in which it was Google.IO, the big G’s developer conference, and they had a lot to announce… so we take a deeper dive into some of the upcoming stuff and what we think.
- [00:00:45] General feelings and the overall feel
- [00:02:25] Duplex: Google Assistant making phone calls to real people to book hair salon appointments and the like. This was by far the thing which got the most press from this IO, and... we have some thoughts. Lots.
- [00:25:00] Android P: swipe gestures are coming (again)
- [00:27:05] Digital wellness: helping people unplug, a bit, from their devices. This is an interesting turn from Google, whether done for cynical reasons or shining ones, and the sort of thing that the Center for Humane Technology have been talking about a lot
- [00:36:40] Google News are planning to use (say it with me) AI and machine learning to curate news and automatically pull in other reads of a given story from different points on the political spectrum
- [00:44:00] Smart Compose is a new Gmail feature which will make writing suggestions to you when writing a mail; we're still arguing about Smart Replies, the pre-canned single-button responses, which Stuart bizarrely doesn't like for no good reason and Jeremy and Jono point this out at some length
- [00:51:10] Smart displays with Google Assistant, and the Echo Show
- [00:53:00] Google Photos automatically picking up foreground objects by using AI and machine learning (ya rly!), potentially bringing the "portrait lighting" mode from the iPhone X to Android natively rather than a million manual apps in the Play Store
- [00:54:16] Maps now has augmented-reality walking directions, with a little cartoon fox for you to follow. And some discussion of whether integrating lots of stuff into Maps is a good idea or not
- [01:02:00] A grab-bag of extras: Leap to translate menus with AR, Chromebooks being able to run Linux apps, and overall thoughts on Google's direction
Come chat with us and the community in our Slack channel via https://badvoltage-slack.herokuapp.com/!
Download from https://badvoltage.org