2x18: Before the Music

Stuart Langridge, Jono Bacon, and Jeremy Garcia present Bad Voltage, in which we have not podfaded for one hundred shows (count 'em, a hundred), two-thirds of the team are at the Open Source Summit in LA, there is literally no news about the iPhones 8 or X, and:

• [00:03:00] News: the "BlueBorne" bundle of bluetooth attacks in which everything is vulnerable except iOS 10... the Linux Foundation announce CHAOSS, a project to make toold to measure open source community health, in the world's best example of choosing the name and then finding a project to fit it... Equifax get hacked, expose 143 million users' details, hilariously issue people PINs which are just the date through a pseudo-phishing website, cause end of the world... a mobile phone powered by radio waves which can make Skype calls on three microwatts (!) of power...
  • [00:22:15] Jono and Jeremy are as mentioned at the Open Source Summit in LA; what's the deal with it? Fun conference? We review what's going on and what it's all about, as well as some thoughts on the hallway track at conferences and what some tips on being a good public speaker
  • [00:37:45] HitRecord (that's "hit record", not "hit record") is "a new kind of online community working together as a production company", set up by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, to be a movie/music/creative arts production company where people collaborate together to make things, or possibly to Fight The Power but in a way where everyone still gets paid. Sounds sorta Creative Commons-y, maybe... but is this one more dead idea powered by stardom, or the new way things will get made? We've got some thoughts. Generally positive ones. And maybe there's some Bad Voltage things we could do on HitRecord? Tell us your ideas!

Download the show now!

1 Like

OK :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously though, Jono, you are my new hero for saying:
ā€œA lot of people were very uncomfortable with what we were doingā€
It needed to be said, and even though in a parallel to FOSS, Iā€™m so very glad you said it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can you mind me what I said again? Sorry, terrible memory!

When you were talking about Severed Fifth playing your copyleft licensed songs in venues, jobbers contrasting hobyists, etc. etc.

Seems to raise the same basic question that nobody seems comfortable asking; What does the monetization of creativity/altruism mean for those actions,society as a whole,and specifically of interest here the FOSS sub culture?

Of course there has always been animosity from those in the proprietary software world towards FOSS and weā€™ve all exchanged comments with that ego saturated goof who is surely going to be the next Sergey Brin (gah!), but you may be surprised to know Iā€™ve also witnessed it even from those in the Free/Libre software world from those with liberapay and patreon accounts against what they view as ā€˜competingā€™ projects/devs. I think that may be the root of it: Money is inherently a vehicle for competition. Furthering that thought, what is monetization doing to our mostly cooperative subculture?

The flip side of that is that Iā€™ve also seen money enable wonderful things. Quite honestly, Iā€™m still unsure of my views on the subject overall. I do know that I donā€™t like how Iā€™m sometimes seeing the influence of monetization manifest negatively in fear based hoarding behaviours within our subculture though. Again, Iā€™m still considering the subject personally, but I am certain that Cyndi Lauper sang it best with ā€œMoney changes everythingā€. Money can really suck if used with the wrong intent or if inspiring the wrong intent :frowning:

2 Likes

I have lots of anecdotes about FOSS monetization. Unfortunately almost all of them would get me into trouble speaking about them publicly.

As for the bit at the end, Iā€™ve been listening since near the beginning (I went back to listen to the first few I missed straight away when I discovered Bad Voltage).

1 Like

Dear Jono,

Regarding the Blue Yeti microphone.

You said in this episode that it is a heavy microphone, and that it is not too kind for travel. Now, I have been listening to this show for a while now, so I decided to take it upon myself to take a coffee break, to create an account, to even ask a colleague if he would mind me having coffee alone this afternoon to write down my thoughts.

1. I am a 49kg weighing woman, and Iā€™ve been bringing this microphone with me hotel after hotel, and often enough also from hotel to temporary workplace, for a long time, and have no issues!
  2. Thanks for saying that it looks like a giant dildo on X-ray, now thatā€™s what Iā€™ll think security sees whenever I go through the airport!
  3. Are Bay Area gym subscriptions that expensive?

(Iā€™m very sorry if I sounded mean)

5 Likes

Hey Lady :smiley: !!!
I know you joined just three hours ago and to defend a favorite piece of tech, but I just had to say Iā€™m so happy you joined! Iā€™m certain there have got to be other females in this community too, but perhaps they would rather just use ambiguous user names (which I get and respect the reasons why, I do it myself elsewhere too). Please have a look around the forums: Firstly I hope you notice that everyone here has a mature and good hearted spirit (heh, the borderline exception shit disturber may actually be me ;)) Itā€™s also OK to have very differing outlooks and opinions, here theyā€™re discussed the same way siblings would discuss them (knowing that at the end of the day, you are still family). Iā€™m kinda weird (uh, have you noticed I get overly exited easily ;)) but thatā€™s ok, nobody is here to dick wave or nitpick at faults :slight_smile: I dunno, I just thought Iā€™d be mad at myself if I missed the chance to say Iā€™m happy to have more openly female representation here and hope you stick around. I do :slight_smile:

//edit: by mature I mean that people do not portray the negative side of immaturity, fun and goofiness is always appreciated :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@Klover Iā€™d like to re-iterate that sentiment. Personally, I donā€™t have a problem if the Bad Voltage audience is more male than female because the subject matter appeals more to men than women but all are welcome. Iā€™m sure this view is shared by the majority here.

I hope you feel welcome here, this is a forum where we are happy to discuss a wide range of topics and we donā€™t always agree but as long as we can do that with respect for each other everything goes well. It usually does.

Have a listen to current and our old and new podcasts and feel free to contribute to the forum.

Welcome to our community.

1 Like

Absolutely nothing there to make the Disrespect Meter go ding! Very glad to have that insight. I too wish youā€¦Welcome! :slight_smile:

I might be good hearted, but mature?? :smile:

I havenā€™t seen anyone call Rothschildā€™s Sewage and Septic Sucking Services yet. :smile:

1 Like

@Sarah_Scarlett I donā€™t know why, but it took me a long time to decipher your post. From what I can tellā€¦ I like you! You seem nice :slight_smile: I first read your post 6 hours ago, then the night started, and now I just want to say thank you for the warm welcome!

Also: ā€œdick waveā€? And another day I am glad to not be American. Sorry, Americans! I will never understand you.

@WarrenHill Thank you too!

@oldgeek And thank you!

I live in the US and wellā€¦sigh

But then maybe I have misunderstood. It could be a capital D.

A Dick wave. But maybe also a double entendre?

Viewing Gallery For - Richard Nixon Victory Sign

HA HA Youā€™re absolutely right! Seriously wrong choice of words on my part. By immature I was meaning the snively, passive aggressive, detrimental agendas at every opportunity behaviours some people carry. Yet, youā€™re right, the word ā€œimmatureā€ awesomely encompasses so much moreā€¦and we do :wink: Iā€™ll edit now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Youā€™re welcome and happy to see you sticking around :slight_smile:

Itā€™s an expression I used to mean overly competitive. Iā€™m actually Canadian, hard to explain what it means to be a Canadian woman but I think it most recently was excellently portrayed by Elisha Cuthbert in Goon: Last of the enforcers. Yeah, weā€™re pretty much what Americans would consider guys.

why? I loved it! :smile:

1 Like

Tee hee, amusing fact:
I was talking with a coworker last night and she said that LBJ actually did, literally, dick wave (I donā€™t know anything about american history). I looked it up when I got home, and sure enough, he did:

Johnson was also notorious for involving his dick in the daily lives of his colleagues, whether they liked it or not (and they might have, whoā€™s to say):

From an excerpt of Robert Caroā€™s biography, via the New York Review of Books:

He early became fabled for a Rabelaisian earthiness, urinating in the parking lot of the House Office Building as the urge took him; if a colleague came into a Capitol bathroom as he was finishing at the urinal there, he would sometimes swing around still holding his member, which he liked to call "Jumbo," hooting once, "Have you ever seen anything as big as this?," and shaking it in almost a brandishing manner as he began discoursing about some pending legislation.

[...]

Well, TIL :slight_smile:

better than bow-ties thou. :love_letter:

LOL! Iā€™ll tell you whatā€™s most disturbing for sure though: That picture of The Fourth Bacon in that thread you sent me to. Gloriously disturbing! :slight_smile:

There is one thing, regardless of geography, ethnicity or gender, that is a fact, a universal truth. Bowties are cool! :smile:

1 Like