1x38: Easy Being Green

Dammit @sil, I spent all weekend trying to find a way to respond to you that doesn’t violate the ‘DBAD’ rule here, but I can’t. Because, well, you were being a dick first.

I didn’t lie about the version of Enlightenment in openSUSE; I was mistaken. I misread, and I said so. So call me ignorant, or stupid, or misinformed, but don’t call me a liar on the air.

1 Like

This is true. This is all true.

@bear454 has a point! I think somebody owes somebody an apology. :smile:

1 Like

Ah. We may be talking about different things here. I said, on the show, at ~48.25, “people told me lies about what the wiki page said”, which wasn’t in reference to the version of Enlightenment: it was about 1x37: Spooning with Everybody - #13 by bear454 in which you said

which as far as I can tell it does not, and I said so and then spent about an hour thinking that maybe I was missing something obvious, trying it from an openSUSE browser, and tearing my hair out.

However, that’s not the point. I was a dick, there; you are right, I should not have accused you of lying; I was misled, and what you said was mistaken, but it wasn’t done with intent to mislead, and I was wrong to describe it as lying. My apologies.

2 Likes

Nice. :slight_smile: I sense a snuggle party in our near future.

So, I just constructed this beautiful post, explaining exactly how everything @sil said about Enlightenment on openSUSE was wrong, and, at the tail end, found out where he was right.

First off, @sil was totally right to use the net installer; unless you’re passing out DVDs, its usually a better choice. If you’re installing KDE and/or GNOME, the DVD will do a faster install, since it uses images instead of individual packages, but for everything else, you’re probably downloading stuff you don’t need (See https://en.opensuse.org/Media_layout).

One big difference, though, is that the DVD installer doesn’t change after GM, whereas the net installer always pulls the current sources. So… what’s changed? For one, the DVD installer doesn’t present Enlightenment as a desktop choice:

With updates included, or via the Net installer, it is:

So, I assumed you were seeing what I saw with the DVD installer, and you chose ‘Minimal X Window’ which grants ICEwm (and little else - hence no bloated web browsers), then added Enlightnment packages… which wouldn’t change the desktop setting any more than installing KDE packages on a GNOME desktop would.

I see now, you followed the bouncing ball, and didn’t get what you expected. Clearly, our Enlightenment team has some bugs to fix. Now, I don’t expect you to go fix all that up yourself, but it would be awesome of you to file some bugs at https://bugzilla.opensuse.org about your legitimate issues, so they are brought to the maintainer’s attention.

Dammit. I hate that sentence.

I know right, but its true. :scream:

First time for everything. :smile:

I’d like to; I’m not sure that my notes are sufficiently detailed to make useful replicable bugs, but if they are I’ll try. I am semi-sure that I chose “Enlightenment Desktop” on that installer screen and then was given icewm anyway, but perhaps I ticked it wrongly.

1 Like

Wait, when did this happen?

You sir, speak truth!

Beats it for what? Milligrams of ibuprofen needed to manage your headache after getting the wifi to work? Your blood pressure after reading a response to your quest for help on the arch forums? Time spent troubleshooting crashes after system updates?

I do love my arch install, but making it “go” after I inevitably screw something up is less than fun.
EB