1x37: Spooning with Everybody

Okay, two things here…

(1) openSUSE is about fresh, stable software. Yes, we want to track upstream projects & incorporate their innovations, but not at the expense of stability. Therefore, E17 is our current Enlightenment desktop. E19 may be available in Factory, but honestly, it looks like we’re not ready to commit to it. So, for better or worse, you’re going to have to rely on E17 for evaluating Enlightenment in openSUSE.

(2) Wiki documents like the portal page I pointed out are maintained by the groups that maintain the code in openSUSE; so they are, for lack of a better word, canonical. If there’s not a solution in the Portal page, its not something we’re ready to give to users.

1 Like

Great point here, Doug.

An interesting measure of this would be respins/mods. How many Ubuntu respins are there? A dozen? Yes, they’re pretty popular, but some of that is due to consolidation… how many Mint users would create their own slight variation if they could?

So compare Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Mint, Elementary, and maybe a dozen others… to the 11,768 published in SUSE Gallery.

I think there’s no question, we’re giving people more tools, more support to make Linux their own. The official distro, openSUSE 13.2, is not the culmination of our community, just a reference work.

OK, cool; I’ll test with that, then. I believe I have it installed, and I believe that I’ve told it to be the desktop in the sysconfig manager. However, my desktop appears to be just plain icewm. What might I be doing wrong? The login screen is also super-basic. Is what I’m looking at actually Enlightenment E17? It doesn’t seem like it is to me…

The login screen

The desktop, showing the sysconfig editor with e17 selected as my WM

Something’s missing… I’ll poke it. In the meantime, look at you, using YaST :smiley:

I know! I haven’t used it for years!

On the other hand, it doesn’t seem to have changed much since then :wink:

For DEFAULT_WM in sysconfig, use ‘enlightenment’ .

BTW, I think I put my foot in my mouth, pretty far too… looks like E19 is the default now.

1 Like

Ahem… YaST has changed a lot; but mostly under the hood. The language constructed just to write YaST, YCP, has been abandoned, and all the code is Ruby now ( https://github.com/yast https://news.opensuse.org/2015/02/25/openness-brings-fresh-air-to-yast/ ).

The UI code is still unique (YUI), but I’ve seen nothing that can completely replace it - providing a native UI in Qt, GTK, and ncurses from one visual definition is stil unique.

1 Like

In defence of openSUSE, Enlightenment hasn’t been blessed as an official desktop yet… there should be a one-click choice during setup in the next version, right next to GNOME, KDE, LXDE & XFCE… the maintainers just aren’t there yet, and, as I mentioned before it has to be stable.

https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Enlightenment/TODO

Next time just tell Bryan to give you a supported desktop choice :wink:

1 Like

For Stu? Not a chance. :smile:

We need to force that boy out of his Unity-Bubble!

Ok, you’ve said a whole bunch of stuff here and I still do not understand. I have been told to test enlightenment, which I am happy to do. I don’t care which version I test; whatever you lot suggest. So:

How do I install the preferred version of enlightenment on SuSE 13.2?

How do I switch my desktop to be enlightenment once it’s installed?

I do not know either of these things.

You know what? I’m going to do this right along with ya. I’ve got a clean install of openSUSE 13.2 on this laptop next to me. After I grab a slice of pizza I’ll throw Enlightenment on there and type out my exact steps here.

I always just choose my desktop from the login manager (gdm, kdm, etc.). Been so long since I’ve needed to do it any other way that I’m not sure exactly what to change. But I think one of @bear454’s posts talks about setting it in sysconfic and shows which values to change.

2 short paths:

(1) Install openSUSE with some official desktop (GNOME, KDE, XFCE, LXDE) which will include a DM that lets you choose the session type at login; then add the ‘enlightenment’ package (and its auto-selected dependencies).

(2) Install openSUSE with Minimal X; after install, login to ICEwm, install ‘enlightenment’, change the sysconfig setting to ‘enlightenment’ (your screenshot shows you entering ‘E17’); then log out and log back in - whamO you’re enlightened.

Right dang here: just type in ‘enlightenment’ instead of ‘E17’. Then logout, and log back in.

1 Like

Ok, here’s exactly how I installed Enlightenment:

• Started with a plain vanilla install of openSUSE 13.2 with GNOME as the desktop environment (I had just done the install… so didn’t feel like wiping and installing a bare system with just Enlightenment).

• “sudo zypper install enlightenment” in the terminal.

• Log out. Choose “Enlightenment” from the Desktop Environment selector and log back in.

• Enlightenment automatically takes you through a “setup wizard” to setup your desktop how you like it.

• I chose the “Classic openSUSE” layout. Just because. But last time I tried the generic “Desktop” layout it worked great… though that was many months ago.

Boom. You’ve now got E19 (0.19.2) installed.

Now, if you haven’t already, fire up Terminology. Love that little terminal app.

1 Like

Regarding Network Neutrality: essentially 100% of the Republicans are against it which means my default position is that it must be a on the whole a good thing. My local “public” electric utility, it is a coop, located on a rather remote island in Washington state, is planning to bring fiber in to our communities. The incumbent commercial entity has absolutely refused to do. In my particular HOA 81% (or about 100 home owners) voted to shell out $2500 each for the middle mile, with each home owner then to pick up their own last mile costs (which would vary from $0 to about $4500). The Republicans would make the participation of public utilities like our coop or muncipalities in the roll-out of broadband illegal. I say to hell with them.

As for government over-regulation … thank god for the regulations which ensure clean water comes out of my faucet, the food I buy at the store doesn’t give me the sh&ts, etc, etc, etc… Yea, market forces would make some of those things happen, for awhile, until the bottom line on next quarter’s financials looked a bit soft and big biz decided it was time to trim costs a little here and a little there.

1 Like

Sing it. This is what government should be doing. And it’s why government invasion of privacy is such a problem: because it makes people say, fuck the government. And then you don’t get clean water unless you live in Martha’s Vineyard.

2 Likes

Maybe Stu’s right; and this is just too complicated. Here’s a live ISO. Or a raw disk image you can use on your virtualization platform of choice. Or you can just Testdrive it. https://susestudio.com/a/R8DAbW/enlightened

Done, from idea to published, in less than half an hour. Because openSUSE.

1 Like

Oooooh, snap! That, right there, is what I was talking about during the show. The rich, amazing set of tools around openSUSE are just plain fantastic, and really set the platform apart from any of the others out there.

Like, right here… @sil wants to try out a specific desktop environment. So @bear454 spends a few minutes and creates a complete, test-driven distro (with multiple media types available for download) that he – and anyone else – can get started with. You can even clone it and tweak it (all with a super snazzy, easy to use web interface) to your hearts content. SUSE Studio and openSUSE. Freaking radical.

1 Like

Aha. This seems to have worked; thank you!

2 Likes

Additionally to Dougs and James points of openSUSE being a very flexible platform to use, there is another dimension to this. One that rather appeals to Free Software hackers than users: It’s incredible easy to contribute to the openSUSE distribution. Why adapt openSUSE only after you installed it? Just mold what’s getting installed to your needs before and be done with it once and for all.

Scratching your own itch, making everybody’s life easier in the process, is the power of Free Software development! And with openSUSE you won’t find complicated processes/rules in place that regulate your Free Software power. You don’t have to go through months and months of proving that you’re capable and trustworthy. You don’t have to sit in endless meetings of some technical steering committee to influence where openSUSE is going. You don’t have to sign complicated, stupid legal documents just to fix a bug or to implement a feature.

As Free Software hacker who want’s to scratch your itch with openSUSE you just have to create an Open Build Service account and then BURP

• Branch,
  • Update,
  • Request,
  • the Package

That’s it, just do it[tm]! As Free Software hacker that’s how easy it is to add your new favourite shiny editor to the next openSUSE release. That’s how easy it is to fix that stupid bug that slipped through and nags you. That’s how easy it is to leave your footprint in one of the popular Linux distributions.

And that is what sets openSUSE apart from other distributions for Free Software hackers!

2 Likes