1x35: One Plug Per Segment

Jeremy Garcia, Bryan Lunduke, Jono Bacon, and Stuart Langridge unleash all the Bad Voltage you can handle, this week featuring:

• Live Voltage! The first Bad Voltage live show, on 20th February at SCALE. Come to it! Be part of the majesty! (2.13)
  • Jeremy reviews the Anova Sous Vide, and discusses the nature of gastronomy and culinary expertise (10.03)
  • We talk to Ilan Rabinovich about the upcoming SCALE conference in LA and the history of how it came to be (26.47)
  • Bryan is Wrong in 60 Seconds about... Wrong in 60 Seconds (42.04)
  • Mir and Wayland: what's going on there, now? Now that the controversy has blown over, what's the score with next-generation display servers? (43.10)

Download the show now!

2 Likes

Next “Wrong in 60 Seconds” should be complaining about Bryan being too meta, therefore making that “Wrong in 60 Seconds” next time even more meta than Bryan’s in this podcast episode lol

1 Like

Thanks for the plug guys, I don’t think it’s going to be live though :smile:

Anyone thinking of coming, please leave a post in UK Live Voltage Meeting - Birmingham 21 February -- Who's In?

This sounds like an interesting way of cooking. However, it raised red flags for me, in that it uses plastic. Plastics, even BPA-free, will leach estrogen like chemicals. Study: Most Plastics Leach Hormone-Like Chemicals : NPR It can be a factor in breast cancer. and obesity. @jeremy mentioned something about using a vacuum chamber, but I really didn’t understand. Is there some other way to cook with this device, without plastics, that is effective?

When using a sous vide it’s important that you only use food grade bags, which are 100% polyethylene, and contain no plasticizers or estrogen-like compounds.

–jeremy

1 Like

Sounds like I need to start saving my penny’s for a new kitchen toy!

In a pinch, a perfect vacuum seal isn’t necessary, unless you’re obsessive. :wink: I’ve cooked sous vide using large (food-safe) ziploc bags and using the water pressure by submerging the bag of food in a pot to push out most of the air and then zipping it closed.

aand I just got to the part in the episode where @jeremy says exactly that.

2 Likes

I wonder if @bryanlunduke isn’t just misunderstood and that these accusations of constant self-promotion is unjustified.

(This comment was brought to you by Linux Is Badass) :smile:

1 Like

Negative. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can also run a over 10 year old pci network card on a new desktop running 15.04 not sure how redicoulus that is compared to running liberoffice on a phone. Will someone think about tiling window managers on wayland or mir. Without drivers is not fun. Are you chaeper that staurt langridge contest at live voltage.

Sous vide, guys! Sous vide! There is a “d” in there, you should pronounce it like “veed”. If you want your food to taste even better, you just need to be pedantic about how to say the words around it! :wink:

3 Likes

In my defense, I said it that way the first time in the review, but then said “sous vee” when @jeremy said it, as I presumed I had pronounced it wrong.

That, obviously, was just luck.

You’re right, you said it right the first time.

But don’t worry, I love you guys, you can keep butchering my language and I’ll keep butchering yours.

:heartpulse:

2 Likes

Basically (and correct me if I’m wrong here, Jeremy), vacuum sealer freezer bags should work.

Speaking of which, @jeremy, I have been using a vacuum sealer for freezing food for several years. One thing I have found is that if you season meat before you freeze it, the seasonings seem to get drawn into the meat as it thaws. I can’t help but to think that the sous vide would just make that delicious…

[quote=“VulcanRidr, post:16, topic:10068”]
Basically (and correct me if I’m wrong here, Jeremy), vacuum sealer freezer bags should work.[/quote]

Anything that is food safe/food grade will be fine.

You would be correct in your thinking.

–jeremy

Looks like Linus Torvalds is listening to the show since he also got an Anova Sous Vide:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+LinusTorvalds/posts/5QVkk47terw

I appears that Linus went and got himself an Anova Sous Vide: Google Workspace Updates: New community features for Google Chat and an update on Currents

Was it a result of my review? Who’s to say really… :wink:

–jeremy