Re: BV on Brendan Eich. So incredibly dissapointed

Can anybody post any links to (respectable, objective (if possible)) articles that:

a) Confirm exactly what Eich did - I know he donated $1000 to a Prop 8 campaign, but I’ve seen various other stories that hint at “other things” he did…

b) Explain the actual situation in America - as per my previous post, I’d be interested in a decent explanation, because it does appear somewhat different to the UK situation.

That’d be helpful. Thanks :wink:

What do you mean by situation?

I mean the political/legal situation.

(As per my previous post, in the UK the situation seems different because gay people could attain exactly the same civil/legal rights as heterosexuals via civil partnerships, which makes gay marriage a somewhat different thing)

Here you go.

Test post. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Thanks neuro :slight_smile: My wiki searching powers must have failed me.

Is it just me, or is politics in the US unnecessarily complicated?

Anything on (a)? :wink:

Does it matter? The guy has quit the company he helped found. Are you a gossip merchant now? :slight_smile:

Not so much unneccessarily complication, more unneccessarily divisive.

1 Like

Winning is more important than the right thing. For an analysis at length of the tensions this causes and the strife involved in sometimes doing the right thing and sometimes bowing to expediency, see series 1-7 of The West Wing.

Interestingly, we in the UK don’t have aspirational political drama. It’s all cynical. The Thick of It is mean for comedy’s sake, House of Cards (the real one) was Machiavellian, Yes (Prime) Minister was Byzantine for comedy’s sake, and A Very British Coup was just cynicism embodied. Interesting distinction, I think.

Not at all. I’m interested in the facts, so that I can decide to what level he has been unfairly treated. If he simply gave some personal money to a cause he believed in, then I would regard it as grossly unfair. If, as some articles I read seemed to suggest, he had a record of actual homophobic comment, then I might think it was only pretty unfair.

I still think that he has been treated unfairly and, as this Slate article suggests, has been targetted by very similar tactics that have in the past been used to oust gay people from their jobs.

Brendan Eich has no record of treating anyone at Mozilla or anywhere else less well because of their sexuality (or for any other reason that I know of). If there are formal press articles suggesting otherwise, let me know and I’ll ask our press team to get them corrected.

Gerv

1 Like

There’s also not a record of him discriminating against racial minorities, and if it came out we was a wizard in the KKK, there would be no controversy as to whether he was a racist.

I sense a bromance in our future … anything Aaron Sorkin touches, I’m generally all over.

I’ll swallow that one. To try and translate so I’m speaking for myself rather than others: If I was working in Mozilla with someone who had never displayed any animosity towards Christians in a Mozilla context, and had promised specifically not to do so in the future (and was known as a truthful man), then if it came out that in his spare time he was a champion of the government suppression of all religions, I would still work with him.

Having swallowed it, though: believing that marriage is between a man and a woman, a position held by 52% of Californians at the time, is not the same as being a wizard in the KKK. I call false analogy.

I concur, as does this article in The Atlantic.

I agree with the feedback on the show that it was a missed opportunity - to have a real conversation over the issue across the Internet (powered by Eich’s JavaScript!) which would undoubtedly result in some people turning their backs on discrimination, towards freedom to live and let live, hopefully including Brendon Eich. Mozilla’s loss is our loss as it impacts the open web. I mean this guy invented JavaScript right, he is a hero in that respect. His fault here is a discrimination shared by many, which opposes others’ freedom. Hopefully we all learn from this, because rather than a win-win outcome, we seem to have ended up with a “lose-lose” one :frowning:

cus who doesn’t like beating dead horses :stuck_out_tongue:
but I found this in my feed reader. I’m not looking to sway anyone, more just explain what the other side was thinking perhaps better and more eloquently than I’m capable of wording