Privacy: Is too much of our stuff out there?

No sir, that is not how things work in the real world, if you want absolute lockdown of your Data, turn off the computer and store it in vault together whit your phone.

[quote=“parzzix, post:20, topic:1790”]
I do understand if I am posting information on freely hosted servers and services, I may be giving up some privacy.[/quote]

You need to consider anything you put on a forum, website etc. to be a matter of public record, i.e. only publish if you don’t care who sees it.

[quote=“parzzix, post:20, topic:1790”]
I also support, Law enforcement/Gov getting access with a proper warrant, not just cuz they feel like it. Warrants make sense to me[/quote]

Problem is who decides what justifies a warrant? Judges just apply the law they don’t set it. I have never heard of a government or law enforcement agency saying:

You know what we have too much power, let’s give some up.

You also mention encryption, and that may be part of the solution, but only if it becomes the norm. If you were to start an encrypted email conversation with me the authorities would still know we were having a conversation. Because the conversation is encrypted, they wouldn’t know what the conversation is about, but the fact that we are trying to keep it secret may be enough to add us to some watch list.

If all email was encrypted by default that would change things.

Also note it’s not just governments and law enforcement agencies. If you have a supermarket loyalty card you get to save a little money but now your supermarket can track your shopping patterns individually. You might not want this if for example if you have a drink problem and the supermarket in question is prepared to sell that information to your health insurance company.

This last statement may sound far-fetched but I know a guy who found out his daughter was pregnant because she was sent money off coupons for baby clothes. He complained to the store saying she didn’t even have boyfriend so how could she possibly want them. The store knew better however, they had correctly guessed based on her recent purchases.

@Boerlum unfortunately I think you are correct in the above post.

1 Like