Poll: Linux Desktop users?

Arch on my desktop, Arch/Fedora dual boot on my laptop and CentOS on any server I run up.

Use Linux full time since 2004. My wife since 2012 she is not a technical person. But she use unity very naturally. Never back to win7.

Used some from of “unix” at work since grad school and converted to linux (or mklinux) in `93. I don’t have a problem with KDE’s supposed complexity/configurability. Recently the better half and I started a consulting biz (international development) and I pretty close to painlessly converted her from Windows to Kubuntu. She still doesn’t quite get the multi-desktop thing (which I find phenomenally useful) but she only very rarely asks for help. The one open source fail is I hate to say LibreOffice. It simply trashes docx files and I am sorry to say, that just does not fly in the real world. We use Kingsoft and it seems to have few problems (occasionally very slow on file selection and print dialogues).

I’ve have used Linux on my desktop since Ubuntu 8.04 i think. I was on the Ubuntu train until the early iterations of Unity which made me distrohop for a while until settling for Arch Linux. These days I run Arch on my laptop and desktop along with Windows 7 I need for some games and work.

I keep distro-hopping, personally. Since I have yet to find a system I absolutly like. Though I mess with software components often inside a virtual machine - on Windows 8 dot 1.

I run Arch Linux with KDE. I just went back to school for automation and robotics, sadly I now have to use windows as well. So I now have a dual boot Windows 8 and Arch Linux. My first windows install in ± 10 years. :frowning:

1 Like

I’ve used Linux for 4 years now. I was stuck with it since I accidentally wiped hard drive along with the recovery partition while installing Ubuntu in my first week of college. It was a 9.04 CD I bought from a guy who sold bootleg DVDs. Three years later I tried switching back to Windows since my new laptop had it installed, but the damage was done, the command line and vim had made me too lazy to use it.

Right now I use Arch+DWM.

Fedora 20 on my desktop and laptop, Fedora 20 XFCE on my EEE PC and feel privileged that I get to run Linux at work too, allbeit CentOS.

I use ubuntu with unity whenever I can
but for work I need to use a mac (ubuntu on it as dualboot)
but sometimes I’m too lazy to switch in the evening if it is just browsing
also, I wish it was easyer to get my PhpStorm config and stuff synced in between them

@Justcarakas when I was dual booting, I managed to sync the profiles of Firefox and Thunderbird, so both programs used the same extensions in the two platforms,and only download my emails once. Probably my comment is stupid, but even though, I’m gonna do it. I’m not familiar with PhpStorm, but probably you could change the location of the user profile preferences, and put it in a location accessible by both OS. Again, not sure if it’s possible

@phollox I also used to do that, but sometimes I started one up to fast and I got sync issues
The other problem with PhpStorm is that the keymap for mac or linux is different, I wouldn’t know how I would be able to fix that with the sync

ps it’s not a stupid comment