Desert Island Books?

OK, folks. You are being shipped off to a desert island (or have a long miserable flight ahead). Top 5 books, preferably shared as covers.

Mine:

1 Like

Neuromancer, William Gibson

The Martian, Andy Weir

Ready Player One, Ernest Cline

Where Wizards Stay Up Late, Katie Hafner & Matthew Lyon

Microserfs, Douglas Coupland

2 Likes

Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy Series, without a doubt.

Any anthology by Robert Heinlein.

Piers Anthony(?)

Gets my vote!

@jonobacon are we allowed anthologies? The full trilogy (in five parts) has been printed as a single volume, though I think it was a limited quantity special edition. Not sure if it has been reprinted since and is still available or does this count as all my 5 books?

And a wordsmith he was. I liked this from A Stranger in a Strange Land

“Anybody can look at a pretty girl and see a pretty girl. An artist can look at a pretty girl and see the old woman she will become. A better artist can look at an old woman and see the pretty girl that she used to be. But a great artist —a master —and that is what Auguste Rodin was —can look at an old woman, portray her exactly as she is… and force the viewer to see the pretty girl she used to be…. and more than that, he can make anyone with the sensitivity of an armadillo, or even you, see that this lovely young girl is still alive, not old and ugly at all, but simply prisoned inside her ruined body. He can make you feel the quiet, endless tragedy that there was never a girl born who ever grew older than eighteen in her heart…. no matter what the merciless hours have done to her. Look at her, Ben. Growing old doesn’t matter to you and me; we were never meant to be admired —but it does to them. Look at her!”

The Cat That Walks Through Walls was very entertaining. I liked how it tied in with The Rolling Stones. However the ending triggered my depression for two days.

I listened to Podkayne of Mars a while back. It was a young female doing the reading. I could swear the story was really from a teenage girl. Heinlein was that good.

You may wanna check out the BadVoltage bookclub aswell.

Four I enjoyed reading recently and old favourite.

IMG_20180112_235533

IMG_20180112_235550

IMG_20180112_235652

IMG_20180112_235701

IMG_20180112_235709

Interesting mix 3 of these are recognised as classics and the fourth is certainly underrated though I prefer the ‘Hichiker’s’ books myself.

You may want some music score playbooks aswell :motor_boat: (motor boat for you)