1x81: The Bad Voltage Holiday Gift Guide 2016

It wasn’t clear at all that you were joking, it was not a sarcastic shot over the bow in the middle of a conversation; it was you on your soapbox, taking a moment no one could interrupt, to level insults.

I know perfectly well how sarcasm works… and we’ve had more than enough banter here to show it. But again, this wasn’t banter; it wasn’t just a monologue of hate speech … and if you can’t see that you went too far, so be it. You should’ve just wrapped the show at ~27:50, and called it good.

Oh for the love of…
sigh

Ok, firstly, I just wanna say it’s very sweet of you to have empathy for and have the intention of defending SIL :slight_smile:

However, I would urge you to reconsider your interpretation of Jono taking the piss for giggles. Especially as an American; I lived in the states once and I know that taking the piss a brand of affection that is just not understood there.

I say this as someone who has personally experienced the brunt of a pissed off Jono (never mind Jono, it’s long forgotten :)) Besides, I kinda can be an asshole when needed ). Jono doesn’t get aggressive or disparaging. Instead he’ll publicly write a blog post ‘trying to understand such thugs’ , ohhh how could this have have happened’, peace love and harmony and all that.

With most people you don’t have the luxury of looking back and learning how someone behaves in certain situations when they have the intent of doing certain things; With Jono you do.

Please take the time to do that and understand what people are telling you here is true. I really do believe you’ve misinterpreted Jonos intent here. Although, yeah, it was pretty boring (sorry, it was).

4 Likes

Given that (a) I have clarified that I was intentionally joking, (b) @sil never questioned for a moment that it was anything other than joking, (c) a number of other listeners have made it clear to you that it was clearly joking, and (d) there is 12 years worth of evidence that @sil and I poke fun at each other all time…yet you still are insisting that I was being intentionally insulting and hurtful, it is clear that you are more interested in whatever agenda you have against me than being open to reasoned discussion. Of course, that is your choice, but I think you are misguided.

After Ant and Dec I was thinking maybe Clarkson and May, but I’m not sure which is which :wink:

I suspect part of the problem here is there are British elements to this humour and I guess it doesn’t translate to everyone unfortunately. I’m not defending @bear454 here, just trying to understand the overreaction.

2 Likes

If you would care to put a small bit of effort, you can see a difference in Jono having some fun with, what you have described as ‘hate speech’, and Jono being upset. Please go to http://www.badvoltage.org/2015/01/22/1x34/ and listen to the first minute. Then go to around the 47 minute mark and listen to him talking about people not using their turn signals. First, try to just listen to the quality of his voice in each instance. There is a great difference between Jono “hating” (as you would describe it) on Stuart and Jono giving a sincere opinion about what is really a safety issue.

Perhaps the culture you are from, or the dynamics between your friends, is different. Please stop judging accordingly.

2 Likes

Thanks to you all for the podcast this year!

Its amongst my favourite, and its one of the ones I put aside for when I can properly concentrate on the podcast (runs or car journeys)

You all do a fantastic job on researching and preparing a great show!

Keep up the great work in 2016!

Have a fantastic Christmas.

1 Like

Disappointing to hear jono slating his hetro life partner in such a way.

Also I think if i gave any of our kids a shit old laptop with old dos games on it the thing would be promptly tossed back at me. Worst Idea Ever for kids, may have a few minutes of sentimental fun for us old farts

Try it. :slight_smile:

Gave one to my daughter (small laptop running FreeDOS) when she was younger and she LOVED it. Still does. Games like Mixed up Mother Goose (an old point and click adventure game) she played for hours on end.

Plus it helped her learn to read. And gave her an understanding of computing history. And let her better understand the culture and time of her parents.

May not be as approachable for, say, a 1 year old as a touch screen tablet… but once a kid has a basic grasp of letters, I would posit that this is a far better approach than a phone/tablet/chromebook/etc… And that’s coming from 100% direct personal experience and watching others do the same.

I[quote=“Baconable, post:36, topic:10964”]
may have a few minutes of sentimental fun for us old farts
[/quote]

I would also say that if all you get out of that is “a few minutes” of sentimental fun… then you probably don’t like video games. Or computers. New or old.

1 Like

you got that spot on, i dont like computers at all really. Never got to grips with them, only on here because i was searching for a solution to an electrical issue I am having with with my fridge.

In deference of @bryanlunduke here, and he doesn’t need me to defend him ollder computers get one much closer to the hardware and there is little better for youngsters than being able to create your own content.

I have seen kids really achiving great thing with Raspberry Pi and Arduino machines

Are all these old DOS games playable in DOSbox? I don’t have any spare old laptops (I gave away my laptop graveyard when I moved flats) but the idea of playing some again seems fun… and perhaps I could manage that with dosbox?

As a side. @bryanlunduke interview with Jim Hall (I think!) founder of Freedos on the Linux and Whatnot show was very interesting.

Not all, but most. What isn’t playable in DOSBox is usually playable in QEMU (or others) running FreeDOS.

We have one netbook here that’s running an old version of openSUSE that auto-runs DOSBox full screen when it turns on. It’s a dedicated DOS gaming netbook. Got around 30 or so of the best kids and educational titles on there… along with some favorites from when Katie and I were kids (like the early Apogee titles and whatnot).

Jim is awesome. Got to hang out with him at a conference earlier this year. Truly a heck of a nice guy.

FreeDOS has a new release in just a few days, as well. Running the RC here and it’s fantastic. Best DOS ever, by far. Use it every damned day.

There was also some Acer laptop. What’s the model, and how well does it run Linux?

(I’m assuming that’s what you put on it).

I like this idea. Our eldest has one of my old (~2004) laptops running Lubuntu, GCompris, Tux Paint and a few other things.

But it’s probably fair to say the stable of high-quality Linux children’s games is… limited. Sticking some old DOS games on would be great.

@bryanlunduke - any further recommendations?

Here are the ones my daughter got the most enjoyment/value out of:

• Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? (And the variants)
  • Mixed up Mother Goose
  • Oregon Trail
  • Reader Rabbit
  • Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing
  • Winnie the Pooh (this one is super old and basically is a “kids first text adventure with CGA pictures”)
  • The Playroom

Mixed up Mother Goose being, far and away, the one she played the most. Before her reading skills were up to snuff, we’d play it with her to read her some of the lines (after a while she had the words memorized for each of the rhymes and could follow along with the words on the screen and the tune that played for each). The game is great. Doesn’t require any interaction other than walking around with the arrow keys. Makes it easy for kids to learn the basics of all sorts of stuff.

2 Likes

@sil mentioning not hooking up the tv to get broadcasts reminded me of the two aerials that got married. The wedding wasn’t much, but the reception was great!:smile:

2 Likes

Sad to see you go @bryanlunduke.

The topic is titled The Bad Voltage Holiday Gift Guide 2016 .

… and I know you think these bq tablets\phones are not finished for production.

But if you add these items (top two) to your amazon wishlist and post the link, I shall be sure (as its amazon) to get the two years the no-qibble return (square trade) that goes with it, to test on your new show, as a going concern for 2017. Either that or DM me here.
Will I have to change my patreon pledge to a different account for the new show ?

----What’s the name\theme of the new show By The Way ?
Over the last three years, I recall enjoying your replies :grin:

Happy hanukkah & I’m proud you did so well while you were with us here.

Way ta go Bryan !