1x47: Box Of Frogs

Just listening to the episode (and tin-can Jono) and I wanted to point out that the Southeast Linuxfest (SELF) had awesome bandwidth. It can be done, but OSCON was a little weak.

Was SELF’s WiFi reliable and consistent? That’d be a rarity…

Yeah. It was rock solid.

It comes down to design. The company that provided it was GlobalVision (https://www.globalvision.net/) and they had multiple connections to the Internet, multiple radios, load balancers … the works. We set up OpenNMS to monitor it and it never got laggy:

http://www.adventuresinoss.com/2015/06/14/2015-self-day-two/

Now this was 500+ people versus the crowds at OSCON, but it can be done.

I think it was Tolstoy who said:
“Every happy family is the same, but every unhappy family is intricately different.”

Aaron Swartz came from a family where his parents didn’t praise him enough for his achievements.
As such I think he was constantly chasing his own tale trying to appease them.

In the final analysis, I’m glad I come from a happy family, but I recognise those that don’t.

Putting the Fun back into disFunctional?

I think that to much of an oxymoron for my head to assimilate - but I get your premise.
Those in that position, sometimes rope everyone in, until it becomes unbearable.

Watching the trailer to the internet’s own boy aswell as the film last year, I found that the old world is something that he knew how to supersede, he just didn’t have the team in place to-do it.
I mean where is his books ? Oh wait, Laurence Lessig, is bringing out one on amazon in November.

Well, maybe we’ll get to the bottom of it, by then.

Regading the Internet on conferences:

If you want to see Internet on Conferences done right, you should attend a CCC event, for example the Chaos Communication Congress in Hamburg (DE) or the Chaos Communication Camp.

To get an idea what they are doing take a look at the Infrastructure Review

cheerio
Steve

1 Like

This remains one of my favorite segments, and believe it or not the project is still alive.

–jeremy