1x33: Unambiguous Win Condition

Trouble is, for your browser to implement this, it just has to use data it already has (your history). For Google to implement it, you have to tell them everywhere you go on the web in a month. In other words, a non-browser-based impl. is probably going to be a massive privacy violation.

No. Google already know that I’m looking at a particular page, because they’re serving me ads on it, and they’re ads customised to my preferences. So they just show me no ad instead. It is possible to build a system where the remote site doesn’t know who I am (and so would serve me a generic ad) and yet that ad is suppressed and a small portion of the money I pay goes to that site anyway, but for this to work the remote site has to opt in to the programme. Which means, in my opinion, that it’ll never get off the ground because of the chicken and egg problem: nobody will sign up because it hides hardly any ads, and no sites will sign up because no users are using it. The advantage with Google doing it is that they do not need the site’s participation: Google know that I have paid for no ads, so when any site at all tries to show me a Google ad, it instead shows no ad at all and Google send the site the same money they’d have got anyway. This only works because of Google’s massively dominant position in the web advertising market, of course, but since they have that massively dominant position I can’t see why I shouldn’t make it work for me.

I would suggest that you do research on nutrition if you want to pursue this route. In working with many nutritionist, I have learned that the immune system’s center is in the gut, and to have a healthy immune system, it would require a healthy gut. The Soylent approach is devoid of the nutrients, enzymes and probiotics needed for a healthy gut, and thus, in the long term I could easily see a person on a Soylent only diet would suffer. I would suggest looking into supplementing the Soylent system with good enzyme supplements and fermented foods (small containers of yogurt would do that, however, the added sugars in them may negate the benefits of the probiotics to a degree). Maybe in future versions they will add these.

I do understand in the aggravation of wasting food. It’s more than money down the drain for someone, somewhere could have benefited from it.

As to the necessity of having all the nutrients one needs in each meal, well, that would be a stretch. But, an overall balanced diet would take care of it. And if “carbon footprint” is important to a person, then, by all means, that should be taken into consideration. The Soylent system would be practical for a meal replacement on occasion, but many nutrients are not readily available to ones body in supplement form as they are in food form. Much (not all) of nutrients in supplement form are flushed down the toilet. Looking at the ingredients of Soylent, the nutrients do appear very basic. Also there is the matter of phytonutrients, which are available in a variety of plants. They number in the 10’s of thousands. They are key, not to sustaining life, but the prevention of disease. To supplement this, I would suggest researching ‘superfood’ supplement drinks as they are made from vegetables and fruits.

A book I do recommend is Wild Fermentation. This man contracted HIV in the late 90’s and has treated himself with an abundance of fermented food, but no medicines (if I remember correctly). Fermenting (pickling) fruits and vegetables is surprisingly easy. And they keep for a very, very long time in the refrigerator (I have things in there for a couple of years). In doing this, one can have the benefit of whole foods and have and excellent source of needed enzymes and probiotics.

What I fear, is that, in the long run, one who tries to maintain their health eating mostly a diet based on supplements, their health will deteriorate. This may not manifest itself in a healthy person for many years. If a person who’s health is not good tries this, it may become manifest much earlier. If this could maintain health, this deterioration would not happen at all. I do, however, wish well anyone using the Soylent system.

Who doesn’t sympathize with having to wash dishes? :smile:

Just a note on the social impact of food, the National Geographic had an interesting article in the December 2014 issue called “The Joy of Food”.

I drink plrety of fermented fruits. :smile:

Actually, Soylent did have some enzymes added in revision 1.1, but was removed from 1.2 as customer feedback was inconclusive (according to the release notes). If you look at the original ingredients list for Soylent, it includes suggestions for additional things to add to the mixture for digestion and phytonutrients. These gave the mix a bit more of a citrus taste though, and may or may not be needed based on the rest of one’s dietary intake. I suspect they are not in the base Soylent product for these reasons, but it is quite easy to add them.

In fact, before the product became available, last spring, I attempted to get most of the ingredients from suppliment suppliers, and mixed a batch based on the original recipe. There were a few ingredients which I wasn’t able to get, but I did get most everything, and added a “superfood” oil to the mix for the phytonutrients. I got the proportions slightly wrong, but it wasn’t too terrible for a first attempt. It also tasted much better than every other meal replacement mix I’ve tried. The base Soylent is pretty bland, and it should be pretty easy to get a much better flavor for it, simply by adding some of the extra fat/nutrient ingredients.

My own diet has been very bad. Last week was my first time using the actual Soylent product, and I used it for probably 50-60% of my diet. Just from that, I could tell that I actually felt healthier. The main thing that annoys me with Soylent, is the powder not being fully disolved through the preparation method, which leads to the powdery texture. For me, I can easily see it being 80-90% of my diet though. I plan to compare to the original recipe I prepared against, see what’s missing, and see if I can’t add some other phytonutrients and such, to try and get some decent flavor, and to try and eliminate the texture. I suspect I will have to use a blender to get rid of the texture though.

She’d know the difference if she wanted to play some games that were available on Steam, but only for Windows, and not for SteamOS. When you switched those games wouldn’t be availabled, and many people wouldn’t know why.

There’s a good reason that the Steam Machine definition includes SteamOS.

I sure hope it works for you. I’m comforted knowing that you are looking to supplement it with other nutrients that are not in the product. I hope all that uses it follows your example.

That book I referenced has a section on fermenting drinks. It looks really good.

Regarding Soylent –

-How is this product different from nutritional supplements like Boost and Ensure?

-Perhaps Soylent would be useful for military applications or for astronauts, situations where having food that is nonperishable, safe and usable for long periods of time makes a whole lot of sense. I’m thinking of the emergency rations we saw on Star Trek, DS9 and the like that they used when the replicators went down.

• Some of it’s marketing; Soylent is aimed at people who don’t want to eat normal food; those products are aimed at people who can’t. Soylent also aims to be both inexpensive and a long term option for people who live active lifestyles (in a way that Ensure just isn’t meant to be).

• Soylent requires access to relatively large amounts of clean fresh water, so would likely not be a good target for those applications.

–jeremy

I’m just gonna join other people and say that if you don’t want to spend 20 minutes a day preparing a meal and prefer to swallow hydrated proteiny dust, you just gave up on life and I’m sad for you.

(of course, what else would you expect from a French regarding food?!)

Also, the fact that “oh well you can mix Soylent with other stuff to make it taste better”… well, then just mix pasta with cheese and you’ll get something better!

1 Like

The later revisions of the PS3 couldn’t play all the same games as the original (PS1 and 2 game support removed), but they were still PS3s. There were early revisions of the 360 (sold without a hard drive) that couldn’t play all the games ether, but they were still 360s. Early revisions of the N64 (without the memory expansion) couldn’t play all the games, but they were still N64s. It’s not new or odd for this to happen.

If you look at their Steam development material it’s clearly geared towards being cross platform. I don’t think Valve cares what OS your Steam Box is running, they just want you to buy games from their store.

SteamOS is just an out in case MS and Apple decide you can’t run a store on their platforms.

There is something also to the skill, challenge and accomplishment to creating a good meal. A man we know butchered some of his chickens and we were given one. We were warned that it was an old rooster, so be prepared for a tough bird. My wife, in doing research as to what to do with a tough old chicken, came across that this was the reason behind Coq au Vin. Marinating that bird in red wine for a day did tenderize it nice and that dish was delicious.

1 Like

Le coq au vin, c’est délicieux !

1 Like

Amen, Brother. (Is there is a similar expression in French?)

Amen, mon frère.

Just to round this off - Here’s the video that @sil did to convince @bryanlunduke about scopes.

The second one : Swipes, is here.

Also it’d interesting to know where the Link was for @bryanlunduke 's 1000 word review for “Scopes” on , say, Datamation, or even his blog.

Someone did 30 days on Soylent https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8NCigh54jg

1 Like