1x15: Why Dear Watson

because its not as friendly to the type of user that I am.

The Xbox one is meant to store that data in some servers so when you go to someone elses house, it will recognize you even if you’ve never logged in there before!
Its also meant to recognize your heart beat…

@bryanlunduke: I didn’t catch it in your review, but do you still need an XBOX gold account to watch stuff from Amazon or Netflix?

some youtube channels announced today that in some point in the future you’ll be able to watch netflix without gold and one day you can get a kinnectless version of the xbo

If you are looking at a console mainly for media you should look at both ps4 and xbo though because well xbo has youtube and TV but ps4 has crunchyroll and bbc with the ability to youtube threw the browser, so look at what they both have exclusively and see whats coming, if you’re gaming alot you probably know how to look at consoles and find the one for you in future exclusive line ups but if you’re looking at it at face value, XBO Media, PS4 gaming then you might not end up making the correct choice, its true xbo has more right now but there are still exclusives either way!

Could you elaborate?

I agree with @sil, I am confused by the idea that “being friendly be a bad thing”. To ask another way, what are the advantages of not being user friendly? Is it getting that extra 1%?

My time with Gentoo comes to mind. When I got that system up and running, I felt like the ultimate nerd. But then I realized it was 3AM, and I had work in the morning. If only there was some way I could have gotten the same results with a less hassle method…

I have been a fan of the “Linux Sucks” speech, watching it online every year! Makes me want to move to the Northwest just to hear it and hope I get picked-on in the crowd :slight_smile:

I got the feeling Ubuntu got a lot of the burn, but considering the usage worldwide, it makes sense.

I also like the “wait, Unity is cool now?”. This reminds me of Gnome 3. Back when it came out, nothing but complaints and hate (Maybe still has a lot?). This also resorted in new WMs to preserve the Gnome 2 style. But looking back, we are now seeing more and more love for it.

Thanks for the presentation, @bryan​lunduke! Looking forward to next year’s discussion!

I’m a professional systems administrator. I need to understand how stuff is put together. Being an Arch user not only lets me do that in a way that other distro’s don’t, it actually forces me too. It keeps me sharp. I am fully in control of my system, and fully responsible for it. That’s how I like it.

That being said, I feel like I need to reiterate that I have nothing but respect for the Ubuntu team. They’re working hard on what they think is the best way to do things, and more power to them for it. It ‘just works’ for tons of folks, and arguably has done more for the adoption of a free software desktop that any other project. But, it seems like everyone these days seems to take issue with anyone saying that they dislike Ubuntu for any reason. Ubuntu is really user friendly, but not for my kind of user. I want to do things my way, and sometimes, Ubuntu just gets in my way too much for that to be practical. Part of a free ecosystem is being free to disagree respectfully.

Awesome, could not agree more :smile:

Building your own system gives you great insight into how it actually works. But I would not ask a newcomer to start with something like Arch, unless they plan to give up a social life for a while. With Linux, the freedom of choice allows you to get the best of both worlds!

Elementary OS sounds (and looks) good. I think their narrower focus really will be their strength vs a many tentacled monster like Canonical. Jono seemed a little harsh on the elementary guy, I don’t think they care about much of the baggage that Ubuntu need to care about. Ubuntu are very good at a lot of things, but the actual desktop isn’t it’s strength any more for sure.

Also Jono should probably bear in mind that eventually the good work going on on Elementary will ultimately benefit Ubuntu, whether Elementary OS takes off as a distro or not!

Eh… Talking about the desktop really is just a matter of taste, I really like unity and Gnome 13.12 what many people seem to hate, sure there are things I don’t like about it, such as the dash not having folder options, and really I found Unity one of the easiest to use, I think the scopes are a bit confusing for some people though, but then I find it more attractive then elementary!

They do focus on a lot of other faces (I know what they are called but my brain won’t let me remember the word for it) so that’s an issue for them, if they could focus more on unity then I’m sure it would get much better much faster, and when suru icons happen, its gonna look beautiful!

I feel canonical do in the desktop place and Gnome 13.12 and Unity are the best desktop faces to display to the masses right now, especially when suru comes xD
But its personal opinion, I really like unity, so shoot me?

I mean unity and GNOME are vastly different from Mac and windows, with similarity’s where most others look like windows or Mac want to be’s or they just don’t look different enough that a newbii would see little differences between them

The issue seemed how upfront and seemingly snarky? He seemed like he was better and unity is laughable, its fine to have a we want to make a better experience then you, but exprecing it in such a snobby and eletist way is just… Awful, especially when you know not only are canonical people listening, BUT ALSO PRESENTING THE SHOW!

Its awesome and fine to have an opinion, its just the way and when you express them, and when you say “facts” that aren’t facts…

Sorry that was a bit… Ranty…

You won’t from June: Delivering More Choices for Fans - Xbox Wire

Hey sorry if it looked like a driveby post - last 10 days or so have been crazy.

I agree that Daniel seems like a good guy, even if I don’t agree with him on every single thing. But personally my impression is that he does NOT get your point about the Linux fans/community.

To me it seems like Linux is nothing more than a vehicle to him, and one he’s not really happy to be using, nor particularly respects. And that doesn’t make him a bad person, nor does it make elementary a bad project - it just kinda kills my enthusiasm for elementary.

Pretty much this. I don’t want to seem like I’ve got some kind of grudge against Daniel, but as I said I entered the interview section of the show with that opinion, and was interested to see if the inteview would change my mind. It didn’t - in reality it solidified my feelings…

Anyhow, I’ve said my peace - all due respect to Daniel and the work of elementary - as I said I used it for quite some time pre and post release, and happily.

1 Like