So Bryan Lunduke doesn't have a cellphone

Have you seen if you can text to 911 in your area? Of course, it doesn’t help much traveling!

That’s a good question! I should find out. Though having the local dispatch numbers in my address book does the job for the most part.

This is something I have noticed allot, lots of technical people (myself included) tend not to be massive got-to-have-the-latest-smartphone people.

When you work in IT you tend to have good knowledge of security and VENDOR LOCK IN

I have a laptop with me most of the time, and a full computer at work and a full computer at home etc, the only time when I’m without a computer is when I don’t want to see a screen.

I don’t think there is anything crazy about not owning a cell phone, just as long as you don’t become a recluse, and given Byan’s career I think that it is clear that it is possible to get by without one in this day and age. lol

2 Likes

Right?

So much of the technology most of us use – all day, every day – is profoundly unnecessary. When I was coordinating the video cameos for the last Linux Sucks speech I spent some time talking with Piers Anthony via email. He was using an older machine, running an outdated (by my personal definition) Linux distro, and connecting to the Internet via dial-up.

Like. With a modem and a phone line.

And he’s a hugely successful author that publishes books faster than most people post tweets.

I’m not about to give up my broadband – but these sorts of things do cause me to pause and evaluate exactly what technology and services I actually derive real benefit from.

Over here in the Uk, I don’t know but, but, I guess ‘ee’ just got a whopping amount of info from users.

Wait, you have a cellular WiFi router, but you don’t want a cellular telephone? I confuse.

1 Like

That pic reminds me of an episode of Barney Miller, way back in the 70’s, where they were trying to convince this Amish man to use the telephone to call home for help. He finally relented, picked up the phone and asked “You know anyone else that has one of these?” :smile:

1 Like

Correct! What part is confusing? :slight_smile:

The part where you don’t seem to want a supercomputer in your hand, with multimegabit network access #thefuture

I have done the same thing over the past five years, and have ended up going a similar path recently. What tablets have you liked the most? I have always used a full size iPad, but I am looking to test out a cheaper 7" or 8" Android that I can root and install a Custom ROM. I have been looking at the Nexus 7 (2013) model, but I am open to suggestions.

I would recommend an iPad up and down every day of the week and twice on Sundays, but if you’re wanting to try out custom Android ROMs, the Nexus is probably your best bet. If you want to go for an iPad, but like the Nexus form factor, keep an eye out for iPads mini on Apple’s refurb store, but stay away from anything iOS with only 16GiB of storage.

I’m sure you got that backwards. Or do I just not get it?