Ok Im finished with open source, so i'm installing windows 8.1

So linux upset me again today by not giving my data to the NSA, the american goverment is giving everyone a free back up service and linux wont use it.

Ive had enough of all this 4 freedoms rubbish, so the OS allows me to think, code, share and improve things, but its cutting down on my staring at you-tube like a retard time.

I need to go back to a proper modern software stack, so a went out and bought windows 8.1

Works great for me

12 Likes

Hardy har har har! :slight_smile:

Welcome to the Modern world.

Dang, yo. Those tiles be LIVE.

1 Like

Only posting to get it off my chest. Unity isnā€™t my cup of tea, but I can use it productively for extended periods, and I can swap it out for something else. When I tried a Metro interface on a touch screen laptop in a retailer, I wanted to throw the machine out the window in under 90 seconds.

Thatā€™s a big difference.

[quote=ā€œb1ackcr0w, post:5, topic:170ā€]Unity isnā€™t my cup of tea, but I can use it productively for extended periods, and I can swap it out for something else. When I tried a Metro interface on a touch screen laptop in a retailer, I wanted to throw the machine out the window in under 90 seconds.
[/quote]
Thereā€™s the whole point right there (emphasis mine). Even if you want to chuck unity out the window (I havenā€™t used it in 3+ years, so I canā€™t say. Iā€™m an xfce kinda guy) you can in the Linux eco-system.

1 Like

I kinda like windows 8, Iā€™ve yet to see it effect my workflow. Itā€™s got huge improvements with keyboard control. I rarely touch a mouse outside browsing and gaming. I prefer Xmonad or Scrotwm on Linux. But each to there own.

I also have Windows 8 for gaming, and itā€™s not that bad after one spends a while tuning it. The real problem with 8 actually is the time it takes to make it usable. The system tries really hard to blow up whole user interface so one has to do hell of a work to keep it clean and usable.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got a new laptop tonight. Except I havenā€™t, Iā€™ve just got my trusty Thinkpad x61, and am giving Fedora a spin. Making it feel like a completely new laptop, at a cost of Ā£0.00.

Win. Like.

3 Likes

Can you report back Iā€™m curious as to what Fedoras like now. I havenā€™t played with it since version 9.

Itā€™s very slick. Gnome3 & Cinnamon installed as standard, with Gnome3 the default WM. The Yum underpinnings as they always were. V20, not as crashy as previous Fedoras, but the occasional minor breakage of bleeding edge stuff still present. Nvidia/AMD proprietary drivers still a pain in the butt to install. Much more software available via rpm these days. Documentation both official and unofficial more comprehensive. Worth a punt.

1 Like

Do you still get ā€˜dependancey hellā€™ where random packages have uncompletable dependancies and the the whole thng collapses? A needs B, B needs C but c isnt availableā€¦tick tick boom

Not so much. Youā€™ll notice itā€™s much better in 19 & 20 than in most previous Fedoras

Gotta agree. The last two Fedora releases have been substantially improved, in my opinion. Itā€™s still not my ā€œgo toā€ distroā€¦ but itā€™s really quite good!

Thanks for replying, will have a punt.

Yum Itself was always the popular choice to have dependancey issues. I vaguely remember manually installing libraries to update, then having the update break the libraries again. Pure rolling dependancey hell.

I wonder who those four lovely gentlemen riding horses outside my window are.

1 Like

Did you read a man page backwards?

This turns out to be bollocks. I just tried Fed 20 on my desktop, and the Crappy FOSS Nvidia drivers werenā€™t stable long enough for me to get a terminal open and replace them. Oh how wonderfully 1998.

1 Like

@pauly I have to kinda agree with you here. I run 8.1 at work since EVERYONE here runs windows or mac. Just makes it easier to support. Use win+s or just win key and type what I want to run. Not ONCE have I used the actual ā€œmetroā€ interface. Just my $.02

Youā€™re gonna be really disappointed when you ā€˜upgradeā€™ to Windows 10. Youā€™re gonna need teeny tiny post-its.