Jeremy up for some crickets?

When I was a kid, Mac n Cheese was the norm for me. Other pastas were weird. It took many years before I worked up the nerve to give an Alfredo sauce a try – blew my tiny little mind.

The turning point for me – where I started realizing I could eat food that most people on the west coast of the USA would say “eewwww” to – was alligator. Once I tried fried alligator in a gumbo… and… that changed everything. After that, for some reason, the “icky-ness” of various critters just went away.

But I still won’t try Kombucha. That shit is nasty looking.

To each their own, but if you’re only willing to try foods that are “considered a normal food where you live” then I wouldn’t consider you an adventurous eater. That said, I’ve always found it quizzical that items such as shrimp are considered “normal” but many other seemingly more banal items are not.

–jeremy

Given that you eat fucking crickets, I am not surprised you don’t consider me an adventurous eater. :smile:

I don’t equate being adventurous to just eating things that are culturally unusual or uncommon. I think being adventurous is about being open trying lots of different things, but there are going to be some things that people just don’t want to try or eat.

It is kind of like being an open minded music listener. I listen to rock, metal, punk, jazz, blues, dubstep, trance, dance etc…I consider this being a pretty adventurous music listen, but I have zero interest in listening to opera. It just doesn’t interest me. :slight_smile:

My not-yet-4-year-old daughter thinks she is an adventurous eater. I just asked her. She likes crackers.

Any particular sort of crackers? :slight_smile:

My wife’s aunt, from Germany, took quite a bit of convincing to try shrimp, for she just kept calling them ‘sea bugs’ with the same reaction I have when thinking of eating insects (I guess, she was speaking German, of course, and that is what I was told she said). She did try it and found it good. I keep thinking of her example when I’m confronted with the thought of eating insects. In some places, people would be hard up for food if insects were not included. From a practical point of view, it is a shame to not include insects, for they are an excellent source of protein.

I still balk at the idea of eating raw oysters! :grimacing:

Huh! You know, I don’t think I’ve ever had oysters raw… only cooked various ways. Raw clams… but never raw oysters. May need to rectify that.

It seems as such! I have yet to hand her a cracker she doesn’t like.

[Truth be told she’ll eat just about anything as long as she sees me try it first. Except butter. She thinks putting butter on things is a crime against nature.]

In discussing food with kids, I’ll sometimes ask if they have ever eaten toast… raw! You should see the looks on their faces while they try to figure that one out. :smile:

1 Like

A while back my wife comes and tells me that the Barber of Seville was playing in Wichita and if I would like to go see it. I said “heck, yeah” which took her back a bit. After a few seconds of the ‘what is he up to’ look, she finally said “You know, Bugs Bunny won’t be there.”

“WHAT?” I replied. How in the world could the Barber of Seville be played without Bugs Bunny??? Everything I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny!

“Kill the Wabbit”

“Kill the Wabbit”