Favourite editors / IDEs

+1 for Geany if on Linux and if stuck in Windows I like Notepad++ which keeps getting better.
My biggest hindrance to adopting Emacs (I’ve tried) is its unusual choice of keyboard shortcuts and general weirdness. I know perhaps these keyboard shortcuts predate standardisation but it could be time for a bit of realignment with the rest of the world.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha emacs align with the world ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

In other news: the pope declares that violence is OK with him, as long as you have a good reason

2 Likes

Like the crusades?

1 Like

Sublime Text for me. Only problem is, as an aspiring web devel-hobbyist, I have no effing clue what I’m doing with it.

touché. :smile:

GEdit is the bee’s knees.

Yes. Yes it is. Or at least it’s what I use. Wish it had ST’s multiple cursors and vibrant community and someone to bring plugins together in a good way like Package Control does, though.

1 Like

GVim and Geany are my GUI editors of choice, they run on Linux and Windows, and do what I need to do, when I have to be using a GUI.

…and I’m back to Sublime Text.

Almost exclusively Sublime. I’m trying out WebStorm for java/coffeescript development, but I still like Sublime.

In theory I’d like to use Vim but I don’t know it well enough, and I’d rather spend time getting improving my development skills than learning how to use an editor. I use it for quick edits, particularly on remote systems.

Yes, the multiple cursor is really an amazing feature. I’m wondering how hard it would be to implement in GEdit? (after all, they even included this feature in a recent version of Firefox’s source code editor)

Yep, especially when used in conjunction with find all, or by holding control and double clicking words.

Emacs

1 Like

+1

Visual studio

@jonobacon the IDE you were thinking of is lighttable. http://www.lighttable.com/

1 Like

Aha! That’s the one - thanks!

Has anyone been able to make lighttable work for them? I mean, it runs, but I think my education level is too low to figure out how to make it do its unique lighttabley thing.