Bad Voltage Listener Gaming Contest

Nice! I joined the group. :slight_smile:

So, ignore my ignorance, but how do you organize gaming events in a Steam Community?

I’ve never done it over steam. But I do notice there is a little tool for making a gaming event within a group. I notice one of the fields is the server address, which seems odd, because I thought it would be a Steam server. I guess the best way to learn is to try and organise an event and see what happens.

We only have three in the group so far. When would y’all like to play?

Maybe give it a test with Team Fortress 2 - I think this is free on Steam. Maybe test it to see how it works and report back and then we can coordinate an event.

Got a TF2 server up and running: badvoltage.freeslacker.com

If the domain name is a problem, let me know. I’ve never really played TF2 much so I’ll have to mess around see about a good map rotation and such.

1 Like

OK, how do we connect to the server from within the game?

You’d have to add it as a “favorite” server, then you can see it and connect. I’m still working out how to get bots/AI working on the server to keep it from being so barren.

I tried it & I got a server not responding error?

Hey all, well up for joining in. Just let me know when and where :smiley:

So it sounds like we have a TF2 server from @dankles and a steam community from @b1ackcr0w - does someone want to set up a game sometime and we can give it a whirl?

Yay TF2. It still seems like yesterday that linux users quickly changed the conversation whenever a gaming session was mentioned… happy days.

2 Likes

Hey guys, I’ll see about getting the TF2 server running better come next week, hopefully on Monday. I’ll post again or start a new post on setting up a date for us to do some killing. I’ll try getting a mumble server up and running as well.

1 Like

I’m interested in this too.

1 Like

Thanks, man, that would be awesome. Some kind of voice chat would really seal the deal. :slight_smile:

I think I have everything setup correctly for the most part.

Server details are below:

Address: badvoltage.freeslacker.com
Port: 27015 (this is the default tf2 port, so you shouldn’t need this)

Max Players: 24
Bots: 10 (set to fill mode so bots will drop out as players join)

I have a Mumble server setup as well for voice chat:

Address: mumble.freeslacker.com
Port: 64738 (default port)

Everything will be barren if you connect right now (minus the 10 bots). Also, I believe on the server side I can configure some sort of point tallying which could allow for doing a competition around it. I still need to work on figuring that part out… Also, the bot AI only works on certain map types (see Bots - Official TF2 Wiki | Official Team Fortress Wiki) though hopefully we can get enough people to were we don’t have to worry about that.

I’m thinking of doing a beta run come this Sunday, though I’ll keep you guys posted.

Bangarang, Dankles. Bangarang.

Awesome, @dankles!

I recommend you pick a day and time and set that as a time for everyone to test it out. Unfortunately, I will be away at a conf on Sunday, but I am others would be interested. Just make sure to publicize it here. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Dammit. I love the phrase “awesome dankles”.

“awesome dankles” is a very awesome phrase. (and I was once told Americans say “awesome” too much…)

Just for dankles, I will strictly use the phrase “badical” in place of “awesome” for the next 48 hours.

1 Like