1x34: Hidden Cities

Jeremy Garcia, Bryan Lunduke, Jono Bacon, and ginger idiot Stuart Langridge bring you all the Bad Voltage that's fit to print, including a special feature where three of us record with good microphones and one moron doesn't:

• We give the second half of our predictions for where technology will go in 2015: this episode, Jeremy and Jono (2.30)
  • Christian Hergert talks about his crowdfunding campaign to make Builder, a Gnome IDE for building Gnome apps (27.25)
  • Wrong in 60 seconds: Jono on indicating in cars (46.48)
  • Skiplagged, a website for taking advantage of "hidden city" airline tickets through data analysis, is being sued by airlines. We discuss why, and what this indicates for this sort of air-quotes disruptive app (48.33)
  • Jono reviews the Logitech Harmony 650 all-in-one entertainment system remote control (62.35)

Download the show now!

A single data point, but I sure like the timing.

The S6 will reportedly have built-in wireless charging and a 2550mAh battery, which is larger than that of the iPhone 6, but a bit smaller than the HTC One’s.

–jeremy

How convenient. :wink:

Just a quick reminder as pointed out on the show Live Voltage is coming up soon.

@joe has provisionally booked the Wellington, Birmingham UK on 21st February 11am to 3pm for a few of us in the UK to meet up generally hang out and hopefully watch the Live Voltage video.

Who’s up for it?

If you are add your name to the list on the

UK Live Voltage Mirror - Birmingham 21 February - Who’s in thread

We need some idea on numbers

So, regarding the Harmony remote, first I have to get this out of my system:

@bryanlunduke said that he didn’t want a lcd screen lighting his face while he ‘watches dragons fighting women without their shirts on.’ What kind of shirts are these and do dragons usually remove their shirts before they fight?

Now to a serious question about the remote. @jonobacon, do you have the Roku 3? If so, does the remote control it by IR or does it connect to the network like the Roku remote does?

Regarding Wrong in 60 Seconds: I agree with @sil in that there was nothing “wrong” about it. One of my “favorites” are the ones that are going to turn, sitting in the turn lane with out any signal going, but will turn on their signal as they are turning. If you were to have a mic in my car, you would often hear, in a red-neck voice “shoooo, I don’t need to use no turn signal.” But, I will confess, I have, on occasion, forgotten to turn my turn signal on. Usually something else is going on, external to my car, that is distracting me enough for such an offense. So, my question is, when I do such a stupid thing, should I miss the Bad Voltage episode for that week for punishment?

I use a Roku 2 and I control it using IR with the remote. The Roku supports both IR and RF. :slight_smile:

How can airlines take such stupid decisions? How can such big companies in general behave so dumb? Is there really no single person in the management that lives in the real world? Why do they sue people that helps them to get customers and in counterpart they support comparison websites that suggest cheaper airlines?
Either provide a public API that is accessible to everyone or just go offline!

Another example is WhatsApp, they’re currently banning people using third party apps (like WhatsApp+) and suing the developers. That’s bad for people using platforms where no native app is available, such as Jolla Phone. There was Mitakuuluu but I got banned for using that app.

Spotify shows how to do it right. In counterpart to WhatsApp they need to care about DRM and still give everyone the possibility to use their service. They can’t provide an app for every single platform but they do provide libraries and allow developers to wrap it into native apps. CuteSpotify (again a Jolla app) is good example. I do pay Spotify for their service and I wouldn’t if there was no possibility to use it on my Jolla.
(Sorry for always coming up with Jolla but it gives some pretty good examples to explain things :wink: )

I used to have the Harmony One remote, which is an old-style Harmony like @jonobacon’s 650. The whole Activities system is awesome, but the whole thing was a bit big and clunky.

Then, during last year’s black friday sales on Amazon, I bought a Harmony Smart Control set, which is even more awesome.

It’s a small box with IR blasters and bluetooth that connects to your wireless network, and accepts commands from an app on your phone. It also comes with a basic remote you can use for most day to day controls (several kinds of these exist, the Ultimate One being the big/expensive brother of the one I have).

It can even control my Hue lights and PS3, and the newer versions of the hub can be linked to IFTTT. And you don’t need a clunky Windows or Mac app to configure it. It can all be done from the app.

The LG G3 already has it @jeremy.

To @jonobacon 's point. I think driving standards, in general, have decreased rapidly over the last few years. It’s everything from indicating to poor lane discipline to dangerous parking. I think a lot of people are very selfish once they get behind the wheel and everyone else can “do one”. That’s the impression i get.

On a side note, my commuter train has now instituted quiet zones so I have to keep from bursting out in raucous laughter while listening to show. I don’t think the quiet zones are actually enforceable, but it sure brings out the self-righteous in the crowd.

Now on to the show…

During the interview he mentioned Anjuta, so I looked at it, and their web site describes it as GNOME Integrated Development Environment which begs the question what is Christian working on? On Indiegogo he describes his project as Builder is a new Integrated Development Environment I’m developing to make it easier to write software for Linux although during the interview he clearly said it was specifically for Gnome rather than generally Linux.

It would be nice to get some clarification on that.

I think the security issue they allude to might be that airlines have to make sure that only the bags of passengers who boarded the plane are loaded into the plane. But since they assume every who has checked-in will be getting on the plane they tend to just load the bags right away. Now if you check-in at La Guardia but abscond in Berlin then that second leg to Moscow is going to have to unload all the bags until they figure out you didn’t check any bags, and then load them all up again. This causes delays, missed departure slots, missed connections, etc. Major PITA!!!

Dangling modifier joke. XD Also Dragons-nipples.

Aq’s voice sounded like it was recorded down a drain using two tin cans and some string.

We were at a loss for who to fire or have executed this week until your message arrived to solve the problem. Stuart’s surviving family would like to point out in his memory that it was a mistake and he has already been brutally chastised by Jono and it won’t happen again…

1 Like

One would hope that the number of bags being loaded into the plan is automagically checked against the number of bags checked-in. People on the other hand… I mean, the aircrew is standing at the planes entrance and welcomes people, but do they also take an exact count?

Assuming that having to call out and wait for passengers presumed to just be late creates a significant annoyance for crew and other passengers (I’m not sure if it does!), Skiplagged IMHO creates a free-riding/schnorring problem that needs to be solved. However, suing is obviously the worst “solution”. Instead, the plaintiff(s) should have hired Mr. Zaman and asked him to work on optimising their flight plans, pricing schemes etc. so that this loophole could be closed.

I was going to comment my disbelief that anybody could possibly drive a car and not indicate, I must say I’ve never noticed such a thing in my five-odd years of driving in the UK and Croatia.

However, yesterday morning, I realised after the fact that I had not indicated at a junction and felt profoundly shamed. My excuse was a noisey toddler in the back seat, but the mistake still had me fretting the whole rest of the journey.

Re: Jeremy’s bonus predictions: I have no idea wha the first 2 mean and I’m not convinced the last things he said were even words.

@jonobacon, your rant made me laugh, because when I visited California a few years ago, I was shocked at how civilized drivers were there. I mean, I even saw all the cars stop when they heard an ambulance in the distance!

I cannot imagine how angry you would be seeing how things are on the road here in Taiwan. Forget all the rules you’ve ever learnt. In Taiwan, the only rule is “try to check what’s in front of you if you remember”. Taiwanese drivers (and scooter riders) never use their mirrors, never indicate when they want to turn, pass where there is space (left or right, who cares?) and don’t give a fuck of any kind of priority (with pedestrians, at intersections, etc.).

As a pedestrian, I do take all the priorities that are mine (for instance, when the light is green, I go). Since I’m a “good foreigner” (i.e. white, not a Filipino or a Vietnamese), they don’t dare rolling over me. I usually stare at their tainted glass in anger and pass. That’s the best I can do.

I’ve never been to Taiwan so I can’t comment but I know that the last time I was in Hong Kong all the traffic lights seemed to do was change colour. They had no effect on any of cars around them.

I am not surprised, some places have really weird traffic. The worst I have ever seen was in Istanbul in Turkey. It was like the Running Man.

I confess I have never been to Turkey. But if there is a bloke with a chainsaw chopping people up, I’m never going.

(The book is loads better, btw.)

1 Like

Hmm, I think it’s about a 90 mile drive for me to punch sil in the face.

Ok, the episode would last me the outward bound journey…

2 Likes