What are the consequences?

It is December. The year is nearly up. So, what are the consequences for right or wrong predictions for the year?

I don’t even remember the predictions. Can someone dig them up and post them here?

Also, agreed, there should be consequences. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe something to do at “Live Voltage?”

2 Likes

Went back to listen to episodes 7 and 8. Just as a side, you guys seemed to hit your stride early in the game. So, this is the notes I took for the predictions:

Jeremy
1: Bitcoin will be adopted in a major way by at least one financial institution.
2: Online privacy and security will become a mainstream concern maybe even leading to government regulation.
Wild card prediction: Biggest focus on handsets will be battery life and not new technology.

Jono
1: All the major consumer facing software companies will have a wearable product.
2: VR gaming gear will be released by all the major companies and that all major gaming studios will have VR games released or in development.

Stuart
1: There will be at least one elected politician in a western country that will announce that they will receive donations in Bitcoin.
2: A purely electric car will be in the top 10 in sales in a relevant market (relevant is my term, meaning a country or major area).

Bryan
1: Bitcoins will be unusable because of laws or regulations and because of it’s instability, their market will be much smaller.
2: 3D printers will be available in some stores in major cities at a price attainable for nerdy persons.
Bonus prediction: There will be a number of Linux powered phones shipped from a variety of venders, but sales will be underwhelming.

These were from some quick notes I took, so the accuracy in wording might (probably) be amiss. But I do think I have the gist of it.

Thanks for the legwork, @oldgeek. From my perspective:

1. http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2014/03/07/major-banks-are-looking-at-bitcoin/
  2. Target breach, Home Depot breach, Blackphone (covered in episode 20), etc.; Online privacy and security are now mainstream.
    WC) One of the most touted features of the new Android Lollipop is “More time playing, less time charging”.

–jeremy

Hardware too @jeremy, looking at phones like the G3, the 3000mAh battery is one of its major selling points.

Some thoughts:

Apple Watch: Watch - Apple
Samsung Wearables: http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/wearable-tech
Google Watch: Wear OS by Google | The smartwatch operating system that connects you to what matters most
TomTom Wearable: TomTom | Sports
Microsoft Band: Microsoft Cloud for Healthcare | Microsoft
Sony Watch: Sony Mobile Phones

Sony Playstation VR: Project Morpheus: Experiencing PS4’s Virtual Reality Prototype – PlayStation.Blog
Facebook buy Oculus: Mark Zuckerberg
Samsung Gear VR: Samsung Galaxy - The Official Samsung Galaxy Site
Google Cardboard: https://cardboard.withgoogle.com/

Overall, I would argue that my two predictions are actually happening. :slight_smile:

Astute observation, sir.

–jeremy

I think it’s best to listen to the predictions rather than quote my summarizations. It was fun to listen to anyway. I commented that you guys hit your stride early, no doubt because you all are seasoned podcasters. Made me think of some of the bands over the years like the Traveling Wilburys, who were great musicians with their own careers, or bands, that just happen to get together to something really nice.

[quote=“oldgeek, post:4, topic:8973”]
Stuart
1: There will be at least one elected politician in a western country that will announce that they will receive donations in Bitcoin.[/quote]
Swedish politician wins a seat in their parliament with only bitcoin donations, and the United States Federal Election Commission declares that US politicians are allowed to receive bitcoin donations and many have (although they haven’t received much apparently).

[quote=“oldgeek, post:4, topic:8973”]
2: A purely electric car will be in the top 10 in sales in a relevant market (relevant is my term, meaning a country or major area).[/quote]
Norway was the first country in the world to have electric cars topping the new car sales monthly ranking. From September 2013 to March 2014, five times an electric car has ranked as the top selling new car in the country, three times the Tesla Model S and twice the Nissan Leaf. Wikipedia.

I’m trying to remember the qualifications that you set as to the area. My impression, from my leaky memory, is that it needed to be, as like in the EU, more than a single country, or, as like in the USA, more than a state. But, like I said, I’m referring to my memory and am too lazy to go back for another listen, for now.

And, so, I would suggest, if you cover this in an upcoming episode, to use clips from episodes 7 and 8. In both episodes it was about 40 minutes in.

I have mp3 clips of the predictions, but how do I upload them?

Maybe soundcloud?

Is that what @sil used for What a letdown. C*mmun*ty ?

I used my own server, 'cos I have a server. But soundcloud would be a good place if you don’t, or if you mail them to me I’ll happily put them online for you?

Thanks to @jonobacon and @sil, I was able to understand a bit more about getting audio here. I assume that posting audio files directly is either challenging or that it would potentially take too much storage on the servers.

So, rather anyone relying on my short descriptions of the predictions made, I made these clips posted on Soundcloud. It should be much more helpful.

Excellent work @oldgeek. I can confirm that Norway admirably fulfils my prediction :smile:

Ah, but you explicitly said that I could go into a shop on the high street and buy them. Which you can’t do with an Apple Watch because it isn’t out yet! It’s not out until 2015! I call this one a failure, comrade Bacon :slight_smile:

Oh come on! Cut a brother some slack. :smile:

$ cut slack
Slack: bad parameter.
$ date "by the end of the year"
2014-12-31
$ google “apple watch release date”
“Early 2015”
$ echo MERCY
echo: not found.
FAIL=$RANDOM; echo $FAIL
Jonathan Edward James Bacon
$ exit