Ubuntu Snappy - thoughts?

From http://www.ubuntu.com/snappy:

Ubuntu Core is a new rendition of Ubuntu for the cloud with transactional updates. Ubuntu Core is a minimal server image with the same libraries as today’s Ubuntu, but applications are provided through a simpler mechanism. The snappy approach is faster, more reliable, and lets us provide stronger security guarantees for apps and users — that’s why we call them “snappy” applications.

Snappy apps and Ubuntu Core itself can be upgraded atomically and rolled back if needed — a bulletproof approach to systems management that is perfect for container deployments. It’s called “transactional” or “image-based” systems management, and we’re delighted to make it available on every Ubuntu certified cloud.

Designed for Docker it seems.

Thoughts from cloudy folks?

Throwing this link into the mix as well as it helped me understand the whole thing a little better.

Looks pretty great to me.

Looks like installing discourse will become: boot Ubuntu snappy; snappy install docker; docker install discourse; done.

Indeed. Which I like. A lot. :slight_smile:

They could simplify it even more by distributing Ubuntu Core as a Docker (or Rocket) image!

I like the Rocket’s approach more - Lets make some spec file and do implementations around that.
Right now we have emerging glorified yum, apt, pacman… ah… You get the point.