Tesla's “Master Plan, Part Deux”

Hi there,

I just finished reading Elon Musk’s latest blog post. Since this was discussed in a previous Bad Voltage episode, I thought I would share it here.

It’s a very interesting post, with some mid/long term objectives.

The idea of a car that can drive itself to pick you (or anyone else) up is fantastic. That would be a true disruptive innovation, much better than Uber for instance. (I can’t wait to see French taxi burning Tesla cars in the streets of Marseille and the French government making Tesla cars illegal because they “destroy jobs” :slight_smile: )

I live in a big city and I never need to drive, so this, coupled with electric public and semi-autonomous transportation as described in the blog post, would suit me very well!

What do you think?

1 Like

It would also suit me too here in Barcelona. For different reasons I haven’t gotten to get a driving license yet, and something like this would allow me to go wherever I want without even getting one and without suffering through the inconveniences of peak hours in public transportation. Of course, taxi drivers here would also burn a couple of Tesla’s in the streets of Barcelona… :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s an exciting idea, and pretty fundamental idea in modern economic theory. My capital (car) isn’t serving much utility sitting in my driveway. And yet, what if I have some kind of an emergency and need the car for an unexpected reason, and it’s off ubering some drunk college kids home? How am I insured against damages?

I was pretty seriously considering a Model 3, but had enough reservations as a first round buyer to hold off. I’m all for early adoption, but I really don’t want to discover the car has some terrible defect. Even a $2k piece of tech is forgettable, it hurts but lesson learned. A car at $35k is an order of magnitude different.

1 Like