Podcast Suggestions (other than BV)

A bit late to the party, but +1 for Hello Internet.

Other podcasts I love:

The History of English Podcast It’s long and covers +10,000 years of the development of English from Proto Indo-European to early modern English. It’s still ongoing and is up to episode 43. I like it because it’s not something I know anything about - other than being an English speaker, and it’s made be change my assumptions about correctness of English.

Kermode & Mayo’s Film Review aka Wittertainment. It’s a movie review show, but it’s not about movie reviews.

In Our Time Melvin Bragg + 3 academics shoot shit about a topic for 45 minutes. Again, I tend to listen to topics I know little or nothing about.

Other than Badvoltage, I listen to the radio, mostly.

2XM, Breakfast republic (2FM), BBCradio 2 and 6.

occasionally tune into ubuntupodcast, but MW buggers it up, with his OCD aeroplane industry yarns.

you might want to check out podlove. it has a somewhat nice subscribe interface.

also, chapter marks in BV would be great.

1 Like

How do I add chapter marks?

1 Like

i am afraid it depends on what you use to edit the show, I think auphonic has a relatively easily discoverable way to do it. See this, unfortunately slightly older, blog post from them: https://auphonic.com/blog/2013/07/03/chapter-marks-and-enhanced-podcasts/

2 Likes

Improvised Star Trek

I have just come across this one recently. It can be very amusing.

Blimey, in order to resurect the deceased thread here…

This page helped me get chapter marks set up on cchits.net but basically, MP3 doesn’t formally support chapter marks, although I did raise a ticket against eyed3 to get them to add support for the proposed extension from the BBC…

You create a file with the timestamps and the name of that chapter in, that you run through mp4chaps for MP4 files, and a separate file with timestamps and name lines that you pass to vorbiscomment to add the metadata.

For examples of how to do it in badly written code, see https://github.com/CCHits/Website/blob/master/CLI/library.php#L674-L698 (OGA) and https://github.com/CCHits/Website/blob/master/CLI/library.php#L766-L784 (MP4)

1 Like

Over at lpxshow they gave alists of podcasts that appeal to their readers.

http://moneytothemasses.com/news/podcast/the-3-financial-tasks-everyone-should-do-our-peer-to-peer-lender-checklist-mttm-podcast-103

Is there a Python one? I can see they do Python courses but no link to a podcast.

Not quite a podcast - but a decent album from Sligo.

Source.

+1 Essential listening

1 Like

A Python podcast which I find quite good (depending on the interviewee) is Talk Python to Me

I find programming podcasts usually quite hard to get into, but I think the presenter on this one does a decent job of asking interesting questions and hitting the right notes with their podcast.

I almost always end up looking up the project(s) mentioned.

1 Like

Yeah, I do listen to that, it’d just be nice to have small updates on the community as well as long interviews.

I have been listening to Ask Noah show. I heard Matt Hartley talk about this on the Lunduke Hour. Noah Chelliah owns his own business using FOSS in enterprise. He seems passionate about it. The show takes callers and he does try to assist them either right then or will get information to assist them later. Seems like a very nice man.

1 Like

Certainly podcasts seem to compete against each other sometimes - but one of the website\s that is fairly nice (although it runs on node) is a decent bunch.

@newky thank-you for sharing talk-python-for-me , but Iam preferring cloud-infrastructure podcasts :kissing_smiling_eyes:

ShamlessPromotion

Clearly Bad Voltage is the only podcast worth listening to and has the finest community behind it

/ShamlessPromotion

I’m kidding, I love BV and I hope you do too. If you have any problems let us know either via the forum or by email. I’m not promising to fix everything but if there are any issues I’m sure we would like to know about them.

That said I would like to hear of any recommendations anybody has I’m a big fan of The Lunduke Hour personally,

3 Likes

There are a bunch of geek pop culture podcasts on The Incomparable network. Some of these include:

• The Incomparable - A weekly dive into geeky media we love, including movies, books, TV, comics, and more.
  • Random Trek - Scott McNulty discusses a randomly selected episode of “Star Trek” — all series, all seasons — with a non-random guest.
  • Unjustly Maligned - A pop culture show about the sometimes strange things we love, that other people… don’t.
  • Total Party Kill - A podcast in which a bunch of friends play Dungeons and Dragons on the Internet for your amusement.

There is also the trek.fm network, if you are so inclined. They have shows on all of the live action shows (TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, Voy, Ent, Dis), as well as topical shows like Continuing Mission, which follows independent productions, HyperChannel, a news show, and shows from other networks, like Mission Log, from the Roddenberry podcast network, which examines each episode of Star Trek looking for messages, morals, and meanings and whether the episode holds up. (They have been going for a little over 5 years, and so far, have done all of TOS, TAS, the original cast movies, and are in season 7 of TNG.)

2 Likes