"MIT Study Finds Fault With Mars One Colony Concept"

MIT Study Finds Fault With Mars One Colony Concept

Well, I’m still holding out hope :stuck_out_tongue: but yeah, not totally shocked. Still, hopefully some of the money poured into them goes into making a realistic mission a bit sooner. more people thinknig about it, doing more research, laying more ground work. Ellon Musk still wants to get a million people there and retire there in his life so… we’ll seee

In a somewhat related note something I read on G+: “Mars is the only known planet totally inhabited by robots.”

To be honest, I have no idea why anyone thought the idea was remotely feasable in the first place. Space exploration is a wonderful idea, but is realistically freakishly expensive. During the ramp up for the original moon missions, there were plans to have fully fledged military bases on the moon.

Why where they abandoned?

Because NASA calculated that they would cost more money than had ever existed.

We only barely have comercial space flight. Our manned space missions seldom if ever leave low earth orbit. We can only afford to send highly complex robots to mars every so often, and they are of very limited scope. They are not bull dozers, or oil rigs, or habitats, or power plants. That is the state of the art right now.

Why not start on the moon? or Antarctica? Or the sea floor? All of these would be better stepping stones.

The reason: Everyone knows that Mars One is a hype stunt. Sounds good on paper, can’t work in practice. The concept may work out some day but the technology, and the state of space exploration itself is simply light years away from being ready,

The saddest part of this, is that I knew several people who auditioned for Mars One. People who made serious fantasies about traveling, and yes, dying on the red planet. There’s something about encouraging that sort of thing, when you know it wont work out, that is seriously messed up in my opinion.

1 Like

In new and unshocking news on this front, Mars One Finalist Explains Exactly How It‘s Ripping Off Supporters
No money, no process, no explanation: An insider speaks out on the hopelessly flawed scheme.

We tolja :slight_smile: