Investigatory Powers Act

I think up until now most UK VPN traffic would mark you as “someone who wants to watch Game of Thrones and doesn’t have a Sky subscription” :smiley:

It is a good point though. The whole point of the US Navy allowing Tor to have public traffic was to make their secret traffic more hidden. It is kinda pointless if the whole thing is to only do secret and illegal things. I’m not sure how you would encourage a lot a general traffic through Tor.

Seconding @sil in that this is an as-well-as not a rather-than.

Also, given that my current MP has always been in favour of the IP Bill, and that no matter the number of letters exchanged (and surgeries attended and conversations had) I have never been able to sway him towards advocating a less hard-line approach, I see that as a route to depressing inevitability. I’ll keep writing letters in the hope that, like Andy Dufresne, “they can’t ignore me forever,” but I rather think they – or rather he – can.

http://i.imgur.com/gMBsOwc.jpg

2 Likes

I think we’d be better off lobbying other parties to repeal the act if there were to gain power in the next gen. elec.

Because a “full tunnel” VPN is basically a Man In The Middle on your whole Internet connection you must have ultimate trust in your VPN provider. Because I don’t have that ultimate trust in a VPN provider I decided to host a VPN server on a rented VPS. There is also the added benefit of a low monthly cost. Just $5/month.

yes can we encourage everyone here to continue writing to their MP on this subject.

I did exactly the same; with DO as well. Been flawless running on all my devices.

I’ve actually written a charm for juju that deploys openvpn (the charm is largely based on the instructions from the DO docs)

It’s been working great for the past month. It’s a little light on documentation. But once it’s deployed (make deploy) you can run make ovpn and it creates and downloads a profile for you. It meant that it took me 3 minutes yesterday to create a new vpn from scratch

1 Like

Moving from BT to Zen, in part because of trying to counterbalance this. Realistically though, I’m not cutting my bandwidth or increasing latency by using a VPN and other than that, not a lot I can do. Have a few servers and already have ovpn on some of them, I guess when I start plotting to bring down the free world I’ll use that.

Just makes me sad more than anything. Fear is so powerful. Government just adds the word terrorists into any speech and they get what they want immediately.