"Enemy Territory" or "Jono Talks Enormous Amounts of Shit"

Back in the annals of time, a certain show called “EarRadio”[1] had an awesome community. Some of that community decided that it would be fun to engage in some multiplayer online game, and the game “Enemy Territory” was chosen. Such gaming was roundly mocked by the presenters named, including one “Jonathan Porkproduct”[1]

Enemy Territory was great, because unlike many other multiplayer FPSs, it wasn’t just deathmatch. There were different player classes (Soldier, Engineer, Medic, Field Ops, Covert Ops), which affording different weapons and different special abilities. Maps were played in teams (Axis vs Allies), and the teams had to cooperate in order to complete special objectives (rather than just kill scores) - usually one team was aiming to complete and objective, the other attempting to stop them doing so. It was awesome.

Battlefield 4 is almost definitely a wonderful game. It probably has many cool features. But to suggest that it is in any way unique in it’s gameplay style is bullshit on a Tory Party Political Broadcast scale.

[1] Names have been changed to protect the guilty

1 Like

To be clear I was not claiming that no other game has team-based objectives, I was merely saying that to my knowledge no other game has this. My knowledge was obviously incomplete. :slight_smile:

As a follow up, @mrben, does anyone still play ET? Are there better Open Source FPSs out there?

Also, here’s a point - Battlefield 1942 did all that first :smiley: As did World War II Online, Outtrigger, Team Fortress, Ghost Recon, Unreal Tournament, TimeSplitters, Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force (after the expansion pack anyway) … jeez, even GoldenEye 007 on the N64 had additional game modes beyond simple deathmatch :slight_smile:

Again, my knowledge, obviously lacking here. Point proven. Community 1 Jono 0. :slight_smile:

To be honest, once I had kids I lost the opportunity to spend time online playing games. There are a whole load of open source FPSs (and even a follow up to ET released alongside Quake 4), but I can’t say I’ve played them enough to know.

Funny the effect that kids has, eh? And, when I say funny, I mean, really not funny. :slight_smile:

Actually, I listed all those games to poke at @mrben for insinuating that ET was some sort of wündergame when in fact it was pretty much a Battlefield 1942 / Call of Duty rip off :wink: and saying you talked “enormous amounts of shit” is a bit harsh IMHO. There’s plenty of things that the Battlefield series does very, very well; if not uniquely, then at very least it does them best-of-breed - squad based tactics and orders, vehicle combat, environmental destruction, etc.

But he does have an underlying point that if you’re going to review a game for the podcast, do some research first; it’s only fair to the game, the podcast and the listeners.

I do miss the LugRadio Sunday night games though!