Desert Island Disks

I am in the very lucky position to be waking up this morning in Glastonbury - the biggest music festival in the UK, Saw some great music yesterday including Radiohead. I fully appreciate I am very lucky in this respect because I have contacts at the BBC and in the music industry so I am waking up in a caravan rather than a tent, my mate was on stage last night and my neighbours are the band First Aid Kit. Currently listening to Natalie Imbruglia on the media player we have.

I was asked last night what are my ā€œDesert Island Disksā€. For those of you who donā€™t know ā€œDesert Island Disksā€ is a UK Radio 4 program where guests have to imagine they are in a shipwreck and get to recover some records from the wreck before it disappears under the waves In the show these are singles but Iā€™ll be generous and allow albums. Your limit is 8.

What would you pick? I am still trying to decide for myself. I have Ed Sheeran, Elbow, Radiohead, the Smiths and the Beatles in my mix but its hard to decide. I will publish my final mix once I know what it is, what I want now is probably not what I will want in a few hours time. What is in your list?

Ok, so I assume Iā€™ll be waiting around for a very long time in a hot climate soā€¦

Rush- Moving Pictures

Edith Piaf - The Voice of the Sparrow: The Very Best of Edith Piaf

ICP - The Wraith: Shangri-La

Telpopmusik - Genetic World

Morrissey - You Are the Quarry

The Greatful Dead : Road Trips Volume 1 Number 3 disk 1

The Velvet Underground - Loaded

And for survival purposes:
Maddonna - True Blue, the actual album (Itā€™s clear so Iā€™d find a heat source and warp it to make a distiller top out of it for potable water)

// Edit:
NOW with crappy rips from youtube playlist :slight_smile:
NSFW, btw
(no need to login, just scroll down and click the triangles or 'add all to playlist" to listen)

Not sure if this is best place to post this but since this thread was started because I am at Glastonbury and I will post a list tomorrow.

Favorite quote from Glastonbury this year:

There are only two things in this world that the more you give the more you have: Love and Hate and I.am not going to let hate win.

I heard this from a young girt, about 12 to 14 I think. In the Left Field area of site this morning. I think.UK.politics is turning a corner at the moment and I think itā€™s turned in right direction. Feel free to disagree here I am always open to.encourage debate provided it is done with sensitivity and respect.

Right now my number one song is "Oh Jeremy Corbinā€ song by the Glastonbury crowd at any of several fields to the tune of Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes.

People in.the UK who are not following Glastonbury may.not.get the reference. Many people outside the UK may not either but it is definitely worth a Google, other search providers are available.

Edit: Corrected typo. Now waiting for Ed Sheeran to take to the stage.

1 Like

OK I promised you list and while this is up there at the moment probably wonā€™t make my list as it is a bit repetitive

https://youtu.be/I7mv2RYs0Ng

My list, in no particular order.

(These are to here to keep my spirits up)

Elbow: One Day like This.

Oasis: Donā€™t Look Back in Anger

Black Eyed Peas: Where is the Love

John Lennon: Imagine

(yes I am a lefty hippy at heart but we need something to break it up so my others)

Ed Sheeran: Galway Girl

The Beatles: She Loves You

The Smiths: Vicar in a TuTu

(If I am allowed all albums then it would be the albums these originally appeared on, but if only one album is allowed)

Nirvana: Nevermind

Sorry Radiohead you missed as I am only allowed 8 choices, but If I had been allowed another it would have been the album ā€œPablo Honeyā€ or if only allowed the single ā€œCreepā€

1 Like

Ah thanks ! :slight_smile: Loading some of that up nowā€¦actuallyā€¦hrm, that gives me an ideaā€¦Iā€™m gonna edit my entry in about an hour. Hope you had a great time!
// edit: OK, done editing mine:)

These would be mine:

• Iron Maiden - Powerslave
  • AC/DC - Stiff Upper Lip
  • AC/DC - Back In Black
  • Cannibal Corpse - Gore Obsessed
  • Muse - 2nd Law
  • Decapitated - Nihility
  • Primal Fear - Delivering The Black
  • Madness - Oui Oui, Si Si, Ja Ja, Da Da
  • Megadeth - Rust In Peace

Something like that.

1 Like

You may need a reflective device to signal passing vessels. Or you might need to play something to discourage the natives in case they are not friendly. This desert island is California, right? Might need another plan. :smile:

1 Like

Well, Iā€™m guessing most are on cd so I can dual purpose them foā€¦wait a minuteā€¦

This desert island is California, right?

I donā€™t know. If it is, Iā€™ll just crank the madonna and hope some passing yacht thinks Iā€™m a material girl and picks me up :wink:

On a side note, I think itā€™s worth mentioning that Desert Island Disks has been running since 1942!

And most of the archive is readily available as well.

Enjoy! :slight_smile:

1 Like

ā€˜Discsā€™, not ā€˜Disksā€™!

ā€˜Desert Island Disksā€™ would be an entirely different prospect, but perhaps a good idea for a segment on the show?

Chris

1 Like

I opened the topic expecting exactly thisā€¦ It felt like just the sort of nostalgia-fest we all love to nerd out about.

1 Like