Closed Poll: Which Charity Should Jeremy Give $100 to?

Around 85~90% of beer is water. Hence, Cheers…

And so is wine (the drink).

Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy. - Benjamin Franklin

And malt does more than Milton can
To justify God’s ways to man.
A. E. Housman. A man who knew what was going on.

Only on Bad Voltage, I made a bad joke about beer, and people answer with quotes of Franklin and Housman about wine, God, Milton, and happiness. I should stop drinking beer and start reading

I would say that milk would accomplish the same also.

Nah. Milk might do more to certify God’s existence. Beer describes what the point of being God is.

1 Like

I’m not sure where this came from originally but to quote my grandfather

Bread is is the staff or life but beer, beer is life its self

I heard in a Podcast that men started to bake bread to simplify the production of beer (stable supply of yeast). Not sure if it’s true, but it helps to put the mankind priorities in perspective. Booze before food…

I have found recipes that use sourdough bread starter for beer starter. I do believe the Egyptians did use this method.

My comment about milk was more about my view of Milton. Besides, I’ll rate a good homemade ice cream up there with a good dark stout. Both are wonderful, but in different ways.

In Europe one of the reasons we made beer (and other alcoholic drinks) was because it killed harmful bacteria so beer was safer to drink than water.

In other parts of the world such as China and the rest of south east Asia water was boiled with herbs or leaves to make it safe, hence tea was created.

ha! Harsh to John M! I think he’s alright :slight_smile:

It takes 3 litre of water to make 33 centilitres bear :slight_smile: Originally people drank bear because it was safer then drinking water.