Bad Voltage Poll Series - What is the uptime on your main Linux desktop?

I’m exactly the same as @hillsy. SSD on my laptop so just switch off when it’s done, same with my Steam box. My server is on all the time and has a UPS to get it through powercuts, but we’re not comparing servers :slight_smile:

Everything is SSD so no need to leave on anymore. Also, most importantly, you want to shut down for encryption.

My Desktop at home is currently off. I turn it on every evening when I come home from work and turn it off again when I go to bed.

My desktop at work is just turned on during my working hours.

Spoiler alert: nobody cares. Until ksplice is more commonly deployed and supported, if your uptime exceeds the date of the last security update to your kernel, then you’re potentially asking for trouble. I’m stopping short of saying “you’re an idiot”, because I wuv you guys and gals, but seriously.

In saying that, I shutdown an Ubuntu 6.06 server today with 998 days and 18 and a half hours of uptime on it. I feel like I’ve just managed to cremate an infected zombie so that they won’t bother anyone else ever again.

He he he …

DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS"
root@wuk1:~# uptime
17:33:16 up 998 days, 18:31, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05
root@wuk1:~# shutdown -h -f now
Broadcast message from root@wuk1 (pts/2) (Tue Apr 5 17:33:22 2016):
The system is going down for system halt NOW!
root@wuk1:~# Connection to wuk1 closed by remote host.````

While Ksplice has been around for many years, live kernel patching is now in mainline (with Red Hat working on kpatch and SUSE on kGraft). That should make this ability widely deployed in the near future.

–jeremy

1 Like