Bad Voltage - Future Directions

If you think the US Digital Service is a good model, there’s quite a bit of similar stuff in the UK. Look into UKGovcamp and NHS Hack Day for starters.

NHS Hack Day

This looks really interesting. I’m living in Northern Ireland right now, so Cardiff seems like a bit of trek, but would be great to get to one of these events at some point.

If that had happened to be put into question form, I would have to answer yes.

this is not called ‘lies’ but ‘alternative facts’ :grin:

1 Like

Is this something that anybody can set up?

This new category would be cool, and I have a few potential topics to create in that category :slight_smile:

I don’t think so as I a moderator I have a few more tools than most people and I can’t see any way create a new category but new ones have been created in the past and I’m sure a full admin on this site such as @sil could do it.

Stuart what do you think should we have a new category “developer talk” for developer related discussions such as tools and programming?

Edit: Just because we don’t have a special category at the moment there is nothing to stop you from creating a new topic aimed primarily at the developers in this community. Put it in “General Chit Chat” for now if we start seeing several developer related topics and they prove popular then we might create a new category later and we can move topics to it.

Personally I don’t want to see too many categories but the point of this topic is to find out what our users want and I feel sure we will all be listened to.

I definitely want to ensure we can encourage more diverse discussion in the forum. I do though want to be a little cautious around too many categories so it doesn’t over complicate the forum. Is there any reason why these kinds of discussions couldn’t just use the General Discussion category?

For now at least I would agree and I have already said I don’t want to see lots of new categories. I can see an argument for a new category if it becomes very active but I can only remember one topic that was very developer centric but certainly not enough to justify creating one now.

I think you should ask yourself the question, “What would SuperEngineer want” :wink:

3 Likes

Suppose, a use-case would be developing for this lil-chap.

OK, I’m asking but my crystal ball appears to be faulty so you will need to tell us. What do you want to see more, or less, of on the forum and what could be done to improve the podcast?

For example, I’m interested in the responses to a Trump president, now he is in power, both within the US and around the world. This morning Jeremy Corbin, the leader or the Labour party - main opposition to the government in the UK - said we should not entertain a state visit from Trump. A petition has been started and in just a few hours has nearly 300,000 signatures. I’ve also seen calls for the UK prime-minster to resign over her failing to condemn him over his recent actions. There have not been enough of these calls and they have not been loud enough for me to believe this is a real possibility however.

I am not creating a topic on that subject however as I feel those who are interested enough in my views to have followed me in previous topics already have a reasonable idea of my politics so it wouldn’t add to the discussion. If however someone here is pro Trump and wants to explain why my views are wrong and willing to listen to any criticism and respond with reasoned arguments then this would be a fascinating topic to me.

You may be agreeing with me here, or you may be thinking: No what I want is [insert subject here]. Point is we don’t know unless you tell us.