1x81: The Bad Voltage Holiday Gift Guide 2016

Jim is awesome. Got to hang out with him at a conference earlier this year. Truly a heck of a nice guy.

FreeDOS has a new release in just a few days, as well. Running the RC here and it’s fantastic. Best DOS ever, by far. Use it every damned day.

There was also some Acer laptop. What’s the model, and how well does it run Linux?

(I’m assuming that’s what you put on it).

I like this idea. Our eldest has one of my old (~2004) laptops running Lubuntu, GCompris, Tux Paint and a few other things.

But it’s probably fair to say the stable of high-quality Linux children’s games is… limited. Sticking some old DOS games on would be great.

@bryanlunduke - any further recommendations?

Here are the ones my daughter got the most enjoyment/value out of:

• Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? (And the variants)
  • Mixed up Mother Goose
  • Oregon Trail
  • Reader Rabbit
  • Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing
  • Winnie the Pooh (this one is super old and basically is a “kids first text adventure with CGA pictures”)
  • The Playroom

Mixed up Mother Goose being, far and away, the one she played the most. Before her reading skills were up to snuff, we’d play it with her to read her some of the lines (after a while she had the words memorized for each of the rhymes and could follow along with the words on the screen and the tune that played for each). The game is great. Doesn’t require any interaction other than walking around with the arrow keys. Makes it easy for kids to learn the basics of all sorts of stuff.

2 Likes

@sil mentioning not hooking up the tv to get broadcasts reminded me of the two aerials that got married. The wedding wasn’t much, but the reception was great!:smile:

2 Likes

Sad to see you go @bryanlunduke.

The topic is titled The Bad Voltage Holiday Gift Guide 2016 .

… and I know you think these bq tablets\phones are not finished for production.

But if you add these items (top two) to your amazon wishlist and post the link, I shall be sure (as its amazon) to get the two years the no-qibble return (square trade) that goes with it, to test on your new show, as a going concern for 2017. Either that or DM me here.
Will I have to change my patreon pledge to a different account for the new show ?

----What’s the name\theme of the new show By The Way ?
Over the last three years, I recall enjoying your replies :grin:

Happy hanukkah & I’m proud you did so well while you were with us here.

Way ta go Bryan !