1x75: Surround Meatballs

Ok, I found a Refresh button hiding in the Settings. The latest Bad Voltage is there now, as are a few other podcasts.

1 Like

er, that doesn’t have anything to do with listening to music, though, right? You can quite happily pair with iOS over Bluetooth if you’re a pair of headphones (A2DP is allowed). Sure, you can’t be a Bluetooth serial port without getting approved by Apple, but that’s no different to them requiring a license to make devices with a lightning connector. (That is to say: this is obviously pure unadulterated gouging and they should pack it in. But I think Bryan was pretty clear in the show about that.)

2 Likes

Don’t understand. When my headphones pop out my phone stops playing so all i have to do i re-seat the jack and press play again. Why do you need to rewind the podcast?

Pop out of his ears, not the plug from the jack - the phone won’t notice that has happened. [Edit: But that would be an interesting feature for headphones to have!]

Apple’s new AirPods detect this (IR sensors built in to the earpiece section), and pause playback, and go to sleep for energy saving.

1 Like

that’s pretty neat!

From Apple’s product page:

Audio automatically plays as soon as you put them in your ears and pauses when you take them out. To adjust the volume, change the song, make a call or even get directions, just double-tap to activate Siri.
Driven by the custom Apple W1 chip, AirPods use optical sensors and a motion accelerometer to detect when they’re in your ears. Whether you’re using both AirPods or just one, the W1 chip automatically routes the audio and engages the microphone. And when you’re on a call or talking to Siri, an additional accelerometer works with beamforming microphones to filter out background noise and focus on the sound of your voice.

As usual, Apple have engineered the shit out of something as simple as headphones. But in a good way :slight_smile:

1 Like

One thing with respect to routers/firewalls - is everyone familiar with Universal Plug ‘n’ Play, UPnP, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Plug_and_Play#NAT_traversal ?

If you don’t disable UPnP in your firewall, anything you install inside your network can open any TCP or UDP port to the outside for listening and port-forwarding. It’s most commonly used for games to allow multiplayer without forcing the user to fiddle with their firewall settings, but it’s a giant security hole. It’s the first thing I shut off on any home router I buy.

Is this just common knowledge, so nobody mentions it?

@sil ~28:00mins “I am not necessarily disagreeing with the point that it’s Hype but, I think that ship has sailed for all the existing things. I mean if you take the, say, HTC One M9 or M One9 or whatever it was called. Machined out of a single billet of aluminium or whatever, it was a lovely looking device, but everyone was saying “Oh it is HTC, it doesn’t matter.” They basically can’t climb out of that hole… So people, … it’s genuinely harder to be objective about whether this thing is aesthetically pleasing.”

It was called the One M9 from HTC back in 2015 with the aluminium build, so you were right about the description.

http://mashable.com/2015/03/30/htc-one-m9-review/#cKA6BkO0ukqN

Nope. I think most people don’t have a clue. And, even the nerdier people that do don’t fully grok the security ramifications.

It needs to be mentioned. A lot. So thank you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I didn’t know that. Thanks.