1x49: The Tapas Of All Bananas

It would be great if they did serve Chicken Γ  la Normande! :yum:

On Microsoft Friend or Foe I saw this article. https://www.aeyoun.com/technote/word-document-formats-office-16tp.html
Short version. For Word docs Microsoft is requiring older .doc and .docx files to be upgraded.
Even for blank files is giving a warning when saving as ODT file. No way to suppress the warning.
For the upgrade it’s using a cloud service rather than local, even though Wordpad can do the upgrade locally in most cases.

So, looks like Microsoft is getting better at working with Open Source at the code level and has shifted to trying to own the defacto document format instead. With the ability to continue to embrace, extend, extinguish https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend_and_extinguish.

Looks like Khan Academy have released their resources for Android and iOS.
So, Endless Computer are losing a big chunk of their market.

I tweeted this @sil but I’ll just stick it here too: I use yEd for most of my diagramming on Linux. I actually started using it on Windows, preferring it over Visio.

Free as in beer, Java desktop application but surprisingly good despite that :wink:

1 Like

Just to provide some feedback after a while.
I eventually went for z-wave, since I want to control radiator valves, and there are no zigbee radiator valves (yet).
I also looked into openhab2 (since it seems to be the future of openhab and because it uses Eclipse SmartHome), but I found that openhab2 is not ready yet. So I switched to Domoticz using a Docker container and was able to get it up and running very quickly.

My setup is currently the following:

• one Fibaro relay switch to know the status of a switch in the wall. (had to be installed at the light point that was controlled by the switch)
  • Fibaro wall plug (that is linked to the switch) (we could turn the lights of the Christmas tree on and off with the wall switch :slight_smile: )
  • 2 Fibaro smoke detectors
  • 3 StellaZ Radiator Valves

The radiator valves are now opened and closed (using the set point) based on the temperature measured by the smoke detectors, time and status of the wall switch.

Best of all, the WAF is very high, she really likes the way it works. :slight_smile: