1x40: Zero-Dollar Energy

Yeah, we failed to get a good interview this episode. And then we picked topics that we all felt like talking about for longer. :smile:

Iā€™m curious if you (and others, too) enjoyed it more like thisā€¦ or the traditional ~10 minute segment show structure weā€™ve been doing. I have a personal opinionā€¦ but Iā€™d love to know what everyone else thinks. Longer discussions or more topics? (Or justā€¦ a shorter show?)

Thatā€™s so totally true. The decision of whether to use any given vaccine is hard, isnā€™t it? My wife and I have really struggled with it.

What makes it extra hard (at least from my viewpoint) is that there are such a diverse set of proā€™s and conā€™s to every decision.

For exampleā€¦

In the case of, say, Measlesā€¦ this absolutely applies. Except when it doesnā€™t. :smile:

My wife is, right now, pregnant. Most people, in the area we live, are vaccinated with a version of a Measles vaccine (including my wife from when she was young). The fact that the vaccine rate is so high means that my wife hasnā€™t been exposed to Measles very often ā€“ in ā€œthe olden daysā€ people would get exposed far more regularly which would then help to keep a persons immunity up. Measles can cross the placental barrier. Because of the lack of exposure to my wife, that means that exposure during pregnancy can be a problem to the growing baby.

Which meansā€¦ the people vaccinating themselves are actually causing a potential problem for the unborn child of a vaccinated woman if that women is exposed to the virus.

How might she be exposed to the virus? By a kid who just got vaccinated (a weakened strain of the virus can be ā€œshedā€ for a period of time after the vaccination is administered).

All of which means a scenario is created by large-scale vaccination programsā€¦ whereby a vaccinated child can, unknowingly, harm an unborn child.

I should be clear ā€“ before I get lynched for trying to spread an ā€œAnti-vaxxā€ viewpoint ā€“ that there are many (MANY) scenarios like this that this specific vaccine can actually help avoid. And that becomes the problemā€¦ weighing the proā€™s and conā€™s. Weighing all of the scenarios and seeing what is likely (and not likely) for your particular family and region.

And then thereā€™s the whole question ofā€¦ ā€œDo you do whatā€™s good for a larger community even if it harms your childā€¦ who is not yet old enough to make decisions for his/herself?ā€ The answer to which doesnā€™t even necessarily mean ā€œNo vaccinesā€ or ā€œlots of vaccinesā€ā€¦ it justā€¦ it justā€¦ is hard.

1 Like

Oh, lordy. I have no clue.

I probably would just yell ā€œFREEDOM!ā€ and invest the entire planets budget into space travel.

3 Likes

Bryan itā€™s no insult to you, you are welcome to your opinion, but I have no intention of debating you on a topic that the AMA has clearly settled to my satisfaction. You are clearly counting on herd immunity to keep your family safe which is a dick move.

I choose to stop listening because your cohosts decided to let you spread a crap ton of propaganda and then failed prevent you from shouting down opposition or having a person prepped to rebut your position. Frankly, I find that horribly irresponsible and it made me realize that I have no strong counterpoint to continue listening to a podcast that includes rather shitty social commentary when I can just listen to a tech podcast that lacks it.

1 Like

Thatā€™s fair. Most people ā€“ in North America ā€“ vaccinate based on the recommendations their doctors and government give them. I am, clearly, in the minority on this topic.

Thus, I completely agree with, and support, your decision. When 1/4th of the hosts on a podcast express a minority viewpoint ā€“ that the other 3/4ths of the hosts allow him to express but actively disagree with ā€“ you just gotta unsubscribe from that show. Right then and there.

We simply canā€™t have dissenting, minority opinions being publicly stated. That would be pure madness. Next thing you know weā€™re going to have women voting and black men owning property. Madness, I say!

2 Likes

The Aunt Barbara pointā€¦is a good one. I would expect her to trust me because weā€™re family and she trusts me for many reasons. I would also expect her to not trust random internet websites. But I appreciate your point.

@Burzmali OK, so from what I understand you are unsubscribing and stopping listening because a presenter shared a viewpoint you disagree with and then the rest of us had the gall to not pre-empt your opinion and absolutely and categorically shut him down as opposed to have the discussion and exchange of perspectives that we had.

Thus, you want our shows to reflect your personal viewpoint, and when your viewpoint is challenged you basically decide to stop listening. In other words: you are not willing to have your viewpoints or perspectives challenged in a polite, collaborative, and respectful way, you refuse to accept the views of others and thus just shut it out.

Putting our head in the sand is not how society evolves or grows or learns.

Based on this, donā€™t let the door hit you on the way out. We donā€™t want a community that takes binary perspectives and is unwilling to have a discussion: we want a diverse range of opinions that when politely shared are always welcome at the table.

3 Likes

Any point can be made using Aunt Barbara. Doesnā€™t even matter if the point makes sense. Evoke Aunt Barbara and WHAM-Oā€¦ point made.

Depends on the definition of joy, and depends on my perception of BadVoltage. But in short, I still donā€™t know which one do I prefer. Only time will tell. Here are my thoughts:

It is easier to listen to short segments, because they donā€™t usually get very deep, and you can listen without much thinking. After all, thinking and challenging beliefs are not easy! In the other hand, long/deep discussions are definitely worthwhile, because well, they are long and deep! Last time I came to the forum was Dec '14. This episode, however, got me so involved that I decided to come and read other peopleā€™s opinion.

But in case of long/deep discussions, the topics becomes more critical and should be balanced to suite different tastes. If there are only two topics discussed in a 1.5 hour episode, and I happen to dislike (or donā€™t care about) both topics, chances are that I donā€™t listen to the show anymore.

Fair enough, Iā€™d be doing the same if you invited a Tax protester or MLM proponent on without offering any meaningful rebuttal. Bryanā€™s a smart man, and Iā€™ve respected him for years, Iā€™ve always suspected that heā€™s a bit crazy, so I canā€™t really hold this against him, because at the end of the day the rest of the team handed him the floor. I suspect that you figured itā€™d be easy to trivially rebut his points, but of course you failed to notice that their is a significant body of ā€œresearchā€ that supports anti-vaxxing that is hard to disprove offhand, but crumbling quickly into a pile of ā€œjet fuel canā€™t melt steel beamsā€ when serious science is shined on it. For example, when Bryan says ā€œThe odds of dying of measles in the US with proper healthcare is really smallā€, the proper response is ā€œWell, your child will be interacting with many children that donā€™t have proper healthcare, despite the best efforts of the ACAā€ or ā€œWell, the odds of Measles causing a secondary infection or neurological damage are a lot more fucking likelyā€ (read the later in Stuartā€™s voice for optimal effect), not frantically looking up the article on Wikipedia.

Iā€™m all for open debate, but in this case you handed an anti-vaxxer a soap box hoping, I think at least, to get to mock him, and he spun a tail that is probably going to be hailed as a victory for the anti-vax movement.

1 Like

Now, here is where you are wrong. We didnā€™t hand him a soapbox, and we didnā€™t set this segment up with the goal to mock him. What we knew was (a) this is an interesting topic, and (b) some of us donā€™t see eye to eye so there will be some fun debate.

While we rib each other a lot in the show, we are not here to set each other up for failure. We are a team, and part of the reason we are a close team is that we know we can push each otherā€™s buttons a lot until someone gets irate and defensive.

What frustrates me about your view, @Burzmali, is that you want want to shut @bryanlunduke down entirely because you disagree with him. You find his review so offensive you donā€™t even want him to share them on a show. You then went a step further to stop listening to the show and slam the rest of us for not calling him on it enough.

As I said earlier, this is not how society evolves. We donā€™t evolve and adjust by shutting people down, we have conversations, and frame those conversations on a structure of respect and dignity. Do I think @bryanlunduke is full of shit on thisā€¦of course I doā€¦but would ever want to silence him on the show because of his opinionā€¦absolutely not.

3 Likes

Just wanted to chime in and give kudos on a superb podcastā€¦ My run home practically glided by because of it.

The piece on elementary is an example of how u guys are talking about the important parts of open sourceā€¦ I.e not specific features of the kernel just released but the things that will help make the software we love more approachable and attractive (if thatā€™s what we want :slight_smile: )

As this thread has already displayed, I think the vaccine talk was fascinating listening, not because I lean particularly either way on the matter (i just dont like the needles) but because itā€™s reasoned debates outside my usual comfort zone. I personally love the occasional departure from the tech topics.

Great job guys!

4 Likes

Thanks, @newky!

Three things to say on this.

Firstā€¦ @Burzmali, Iā€™ve just gotta say that itā€™s clear that you care passionately about the topic. And I completely respect that. I absolutely know how it can be to have a visceral, emotional reaction to certain viewpoints. There are a few topics that get me really riled up. Vaccines isnā€™t one of those topics for me, but I absolutely appreciate that it is for you (itā€™s important, but itā€™s not emotional for me). I donā€™t take any of your reaction personally because of that.

Second. @jonobacon is right. My co-hosts really didnā€™t hand me the floor, or anything like that. And they really didnā€™t set me up for mockery. We disagree with each other. And, in many cases, we mock each other. But always in that ā€œweā€™re broā€™s so making fun of each other is how we show loveā€ way. If it appears that I dominated the segmentā€¦ itā€™s because Iā€™m awesome. You try competing for air time with me. Itā€™s damned hard. The fact that any of them got a single word in edge-wise is a testament to their power and skills.

Third. Iā€™m not ā€œAnti-vaxā€.

You probably should have listened to the rest of the show. These points (and others) were brought up.

ā€“jeremy

2 Likes

My last thoughts:

I have no trouble with Bryan speaking his mind, and I have and will continue to follow him on various other sites (you on the other hand :smirk:), what I have a problem with is letting poisonous memes like anti-vaxing be spread among populations without the proper inoculation (Iā€™d say vaccination, but those donā€™t seem to popular in these parts today :mask:). The Jenny McCarthy body count might sound a bit funny, but the the anti-vax movement has done a fair amount of damage. I was waiting for someone to call Bryan on his bullshit, you normally have no trouble doing so, because Bryan mostly pulls shit out of his ass, but today Bryan was armed with the best bullshit the anti-vax movement has to offer and the counterpoint was a quick Wikipedia search and stunned silence as Bryan deftly stuffed any attempt to contradict him down a rat hole (viral shedding of the recently MMR vaccinated as a serious concern, where was the peer-reviewed research Bryan reviewed on that, oh wait, itā€™s from an anti-vax organization that sewed together WHO, CDC and NIH sources, yeah ā€œjet fuel canā€™t melt steel beamsā€) or straight up talked over Stuart until Stuart gave up.

Summary, the anti-vax movement has blood on their hands, responsible people treat this shit seriously or the donā€™t treat this shit at all. Bad Voltageā€™s habit of wallowing in this kind of shit is the reason Iā€™m out.

1 Like

Iā€™ll take it under advisement once my urge to slap the skidmark off Jonoā€™s chin subsides.

I love this post.

1 Like

OKā€¦whatever the fuck that meansā€¦does this mean you didnā€™t actually listen to the full show?

I think I can hear the sound of @Burzmali quickly loading the show into WinAmp.

1 Like

WinAmp-based burn!

1 Like

3 Likes