1x20: Private Poetry Slam

That still doesn’t answer our mental health issues! :smile:

Only if one decides not to send you to the tower.

1 Like

After listening to the segment, one has tasked an SAS kill squad to deal with Ms. Hawthorn’s abysmal pronunciation of the words one submitted.

(… and breaking character for a second, all four of you fuckers can go fuck yourselves, especially you, Aq, for egregious usage of “jock” :slight_smile: anyway …)

One has accepted one’s fate with humble humility
It shall be executed to the best of one’s ability
One ponders the venom towards suggesting "heid"
It’s constant usage in Scotland is noted indeed
And while not wanting to make this message too circular
You’ll find it used often in So I Married an Axe Murderer
So happily one finds oneself punished, yet feted
With luck after one’s reign, one hopes one shan’t be hated
But one thing is certain, should one finally meet you all
Bryan and Aq shall receive swift kicks to their balls

PS Jono will get a smack about the head for the flag shit

2 Likes

Agreed, although I figured that turnabout was fair play. sic a wife as Willie’s wife, and all that :slight_smile:

Had to look up “scunner”, so you won in the end

re: taxis

what so far has been absent from the conversation so far is the entire “safety” angle. maybe in the developed world it is less an issue, but in the developing world most coutries alreday have LOADS of “unlicenced” taxis that generally compete on the basis of being cheaper because not licenced. The perpetually know risk for taking them of course (super especially for tourists) is that you have a higher chance of being kidnapped, mugged, and occasionally raped. By keeping key parts of transport infrustructure under central governmental control it generally cuts down a lot on this (sure they can still take you for a bit of a ride ad rip you off a little but that’s uually the worst thing that can happen).

UberX and Lift are one good muder cab story away from this becoming a better part of the discourse IMHO.

Where I live, Argentina, we have had many UberX-like services since circa 1992. It is UberX only by phone. You call an agency on the phone (there are many you can choose), tell them where you are and they send you a car called “remisse” (a french word) which is not a taxi, just a regular car. Once you get in the car you tell the driver where you want to go. They don’t have taxi meters, but they now use GPS to charge you on distance. Right now they are cheaper than taxis and people use them more than taxis.
There has been more than one remisse driver rapist in all these years. Nobody ever called for the elimination of the service.
Similarly, taxis all over the world are known for conning tourists, passing fake bills to older people, taking longer routes, etc. All that regulation is not preventing any of that and nobody asks to eliminate taxis.
The remisse agency I use a system just like the uber one only the phone operator in the agency uses it as I call him from my phone. They even use caller ID to send me the ramisse to my home without making me talk to anybody if i dont want to.
Uber just automates it a bit more. And taxis still exist and are profitable here, btw.

Ut oh, it looks like the Dropcam is already revealing schlongs all over the place… http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/07/15/bug_bonanza_makes_dropcam_a_spycam/

Oh and awesome episode BTW… best one yet… its just a shame I had to explain my gleeful smile to my family and loose every shred of masculinity by admitting it was poetry that caused it.

1 Like

@sil, when discussing my suggestion of free software for a topic said, to paraphrase, ‘putting a boot up a regular poster’. (I listened a few times and really couldn’t understand exactly what he said, but I think that was it). Anyway, no worries. I had a colonoscopy a while back and they found a sandle and pump from my wife and a old work shoe from my father. So, I’m quite use to it. :smile:

I suspect that I said “stick the boot into a regular poster” :smile:

Also, did @jonobacon correct the rss feed audio as well? The audio had the same issues that everyone talked about. @oldgeek, if you have worked in software at all, then the boot tactic @sil has referenced is quite common, especially if you have a PHB in your life.

@jonobacon in your defence of the audio, you are mixing the audio free of charge and deal with unexpected delays (e.g. a lazy presenter doesn’t send their damn audio in any resemblance of timely manner or the quality is shit).

However, it does bring up a question that has crossed the twisted mind of a @bryanlunduke: Does this count as a BV blunder requiring an avatar change?

Just asking

I have never worked in software, so I’m still lost if the reference is not being the pointy end of some foot ware. Now, that I understand!

It is still that. Just meaning in developing software, you can be expected to have the threat of a boot up the ass used religiously especially if you have a PHB (pointed hair boss, a reference to the Dilbert comics character who is the boss of Dilbert but absolutely incompetent)

As to the dropcam issue, @jonobacon kept impying (and probably correctly) that the odds are that a user will never have a privacy issue with it. But I ask, would you wear a seat belt if it was not required by law (assuming it is where you live)? The odds are, that one will not be in a car crash in their lifetime, so why wear one? Is it not because of the potential of a crash?

To quote a Bible proverb: “Shrewd is the one that has seen the calamity and proceeds to conceal himself, but the inexperienced have passed along and must suffer the penalty.”

Wow. I signed up just to say this was the best Bad Voltage episode up to now (I have listened to all of them). First, because Bryan won the poetry competition, and also because of beautiful discussions about privacy issues of Dropcam, of Blackphone, and of RMS!

2 Likes

The whole privacy discussion is massively interesting, in my opinion. I honestly think that it’ll be the next big thing; that ten years ago it would have been hard to predict today’s dominant players (Google, Facebook, Apple, Twitter) because they have built a new world we didn’t anticipate, and ten years from now I think the new dominant players will have overthrown those by competing on the ground that they cannot – making privacy important. The Blackphone is a step in that direction, but the people who work out how to tell a compelling story that shows real people how they can and should be private when they want (that’s not the Blackphone people) will own the world a decade from now. The Dropcam is a step in the wrong direction, in my opinion, but they’re successfully playing on today’s field and that’s all they desire.

Thanks, duder!

More schlongs than the NSA can shake a stick at!

I’m not sure why you would want a camera in your home anyway. If someone breaks in and steals your stuff, I guess you might get lucky and see who it was. I would find it more beneficial to have cameras on the outside of the home at potential entry points. That’s not even taking in to consideration the privacy aspect.

Did one give you permission to unpin this topic? Mr Bacon, you disappoint.